need some input from people about a case i plan to build

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

iakovl

need some input from people about a case i plan to build

Post by iakovl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 pm

i plan to build a small scratch build itx case, the "big" idea is that there will be 3 itx mobo's in 1 case

the sketch isn't finished but you'll get the idea

the case will hold 3 itx motherboards:
intel atom - 24/7 download server
saphire e350 - NAS / HTPC
asrock z77e - main rig

bottom sitting psu:
* ATX seasonic 450W for main ivy
* TFX seasonic 250W for E350

on top of the psu's i the motherboards (need to figure how to mount them)
* intel ATOM
* saphire e350
* asrock z77e + 650ti

in the front 8 hdds:
* ATOM : 1
* E350 : 1 os hdd + 4 nas hdd
* ivy : 1 os ssd + 1 hdd

between the front HDDs and back motherboars, there will be a 2*140mm fans

on the front itself i plan to put a full peace of MDF to block HDD and fan noise

sketchup

edh

Re: need some input from people about a case i plan to build

Post by edh » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Why do you need 3 separate systems to achieve these tasks? That is inherently inefficient.

iakovl

Post by iakovl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

it was 3 computers each in its own case
ATOM = 24/7 download server
E350 = NAS
new IVY = main work/game rig

edh

Post by edh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 am

iakovl wrote:it was 3 computers each in its own case
ATOM = 24/7 download server
E350 = NAS
new IVY = main work/game rig
Yes I know that, so as I said why 3 separate systems even if they are in one case? What's wrong with running all of these tasks on one motherboard, CPU and RAM? To me it just says 'vanity project' in 10m high neon letters.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 am

I think you are taking away the advantage of being able to place the NAS far far away, where the platter noise won't irk you.

iakovl

Post by iakovl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm

dont know if i have a good answer... i'm a mooder... well used to be
its a project that i wanted to do for a long long time

jamese

Post by jamese » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Interesting idea. Everyone has different taste/requirements. Keep at it! Do you plan to have the sides open? Otherwise, I'm wondering how you plan to exhaust the heat.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm

seems a bit silly and counter productive to me as well. (but to each his/her own)

it would seem far more efficient to build a nas that can also serve as a down loader for you and put it in the garage/closet/utility room with all the drives you want.
and then build a compact silent workstation (like a m350) in your main PC usage area to use as a head unit with just a ssd.

saves you one whole set of mobo/cpu/psu/ram, and more importantly, a whole lot of silencing/building headaches.

ps... where the exhaust in your sketchup? i assume the intake is in front of the drives, but i see nowhere for the hot air to escape..

cordis

Post by cordis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I've thought about multi-motherboard cases before, more for folding farms than this sort of application. You will want some exhaust holes on the back of that case, I assume you're just leaving it out of your diagram. If you take the bottom two motherboards and flip the top one over, you might be able to share the ventilation output there. You probably also want to think about how to get parts in and out of the case when things fail. Ideally, you might be able to set things up so that a failure in one system doesn't take down the other two. For that to work, you want to make sure the power systems are independent. In effect, you almost setting up your own small scale rack system. Putting 3 systems into the same box will also probably make wiring more complicated, do what you can to keep the wiring in the zones separate.

Another place to think about wiring is outside the box. If you are going to have a single monitor and keyboard for the box, you may want save some space and put a built in kvm switch inside it. To do that in a way that hides the kvm wiring in the box, you won't necessarily have the motherboard ports on the outside of the case. Look into extenders for ports you do need. On the other hand, if you are having one board drive an HTPC, I assume it will connect to a TV. And if you want to use your main system while watching stuff on your HTPC, then you may have at least two monitors set up. So maybe a dual kvm for two of the systems and one that goes straight out. If you are wiring up multiple displays and keyboards and mice, I'd suggest going with wireless mice and keyboards as much as you can. I've found it easy to set up logitech unify receivers for multiple wireless systems in the same room, might work for you.

Anyway, that's just what I've thought of off the top of my head, you may have different ideas.