It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ultimate VortexBox case? ITX, 5.5" full-size optical, 1 3.5"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm 

I'd like to start digitizing my many CD's. After googling 'headless CD ripper" I came across VortexBox. It seems to offer exactly what I want - effortless ripping and organizing -> just insert CD and walk away.

I'd like to build one in the smallest low power box that still has room for a full size optical drive and an internal 3.5" HDD. All of the cases I can find that take a 5.5" external an a 3.5" internal (Eg Apex MI-008, Thermaltake Element Q) also have unnecessary big internal power supplies. Does anyone make a case that would work but has an external brick? I can't imagine this box would ever need more than 60W when paired with a low power Asus C60M1-I fusion mb and single HDD. (Unless the optical drive takes way more power than I realize?)

Anything out there that would sit nicely on an audio rack?

Post subject: Re: Ultimate VortexBox case? ITX, 5.5" full-size optical, 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm 

Can anyone ID this case: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 154/review

It's the one they used when they sold their own box. I like the looks ... but am wondering what the specs are. Anyone know what case it is?

Question answered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856167041

Post subject: Re: Ultimate VortexBox case? ITX, 5.5" full-size optical, 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 am 
SPCR Reviewer

I used one of those MSI barebones systems as my music server for a few years. It worked great. I used it oriented vertically so that convection would aid the cooling. I retired it a year or so ago and it was still running 100% when I took it offline. Used it with a 2TB WD Green and a full-size DVDrom drive. Never had any issues with heat, or anything else. System was on virtually 24/7 for 2-3 years.