Apple G5 Pictures

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:39 am

well, I just walked into a local store where they happened to have the G5 on display.

I'm no fan of macs as far as value for money or utility goes, but since when is that an issue. Mac buyers are getting design, not performance, and if taken in that light, the G5 is the best thing on the block. I have never, ever seen (or even seen a link for) a PC case that comes close, unless your taste runs to LED fans and side windows. The mac has a materials quality, finish, and design cohesiveness that are unmatched. Some PC cases might have a similar quality level, but they usually look garish or boxy compared to a G5.

Why do PC people care either way? Nobody bats an eye when someone buys an Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. when a Hyundai or Kia does everything for them just as well for cheaper. Most purchases for most people are affirmations of identity as well as things that have a use.

And it really is time to let the performance difference rest, SPCR is at the vanguard of the "do we really need faster" brigade, and a G5 or PC are both equal overkill for what most buyers use anyhow.

Back on the silence front, when I saw the G5, the first thing I did was stick my ear right up to it. There may be 9 fans, but in the store I could not hear a thing. I'm sure in a quiet room it would be audible, but nothing like most off the shelf computers, and better than many deliberatly quiet builds.

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:32 pm

About the G5 not needing so many big fans...

The big fans can move very slowly and still push the air, and stay silent under load. That's the whole idea.

Uwackme

heh Apple

Post by Uwackme » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:39 pm

Trust me, having been in the Mac accelerator business years ago....Apple cant design hardware for chit. They are HORRIBLE.

The exact same inards, I require 3 fans total to do a perfect job of cooling that G5 in near total silence.

2 120mm L1A's temp controlled on the low/mid back, pulling air through 2 fat heatpipe CPU heatsinks (think Shuttle Ahtalon pipesinks but bigger). The DDR positioned in front of the CPUs, positioned front-to-back with tall heatspredders reaching into the aristream. Harddrive bay (holding up to 4) next to where the DDR is on the mother board. So the airflows across DDRs/Harddrives entering the case, past CPU heatpipesinks into the fans and out.

I'd have the biggest holes in the front/back panel design that FCC B would allow. The power supply would be mounted behind the top DVD drive with inside 120mm L1A blowing midcase air through the supply and out the back, thereby providing help for topcase air to keep moving...AND blowing air over the PCI/AGP slots. Half the fan blowing through PS half over slots. Slots positioned just under the powersupply.

With a shroud over the CPU heatpipesinks there is no need for any inner baffling. From the outside, no difference. I could go on forever, Aple has always had piss poor engineers, as long as they do what Steve'y wants, they are told they are genious's... regular Wyle E Coyote's ;-)

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:50 pm

All I think about is the dust that thing must collect with all the holes and negative air pressure.

I saw one at the store also, but couldn't trust my evaluation due to the ever present white noise.

Looked pretty cool, but no cooler than a nice Coolermaster or Lian-Li case IMHO.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:55 pm

I'm no fan of Macs either, but I will say this: from a pure aesthetics standpoint, the G5 clobbers any PC case I'm aware of...

Semm

Post by Semm » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:04 pm

There are some one-off mods that I like more than the G5, aesthetics-wise, but nothing that's easily available :) I almost went out and bought one when the came out, I liked the look so much. Anyone here know if I'd be stepping into legal trouble if I duplicated the look for a PC case? I'd suspect yes, but it's not something I know a lot about.

Mark

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:18 pm

Semm,

if you duplicate it for personal use, then you won't get into trouble (don't quote me on this, when you get to court :) )

But if you duplicate it for sale, yes there is a possiblity.

Semm

Post by Semm » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:44 pm

Damn it all! There goes my plan to build PC-based mac look-alikes and get rich. *sigh* Back to the drawing board. Shame that apple won't sell the cases by themselves. It'd help their profits :D

Thanks Halcyon
Semm

mieses

Post by mieses » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:20 am

http://www.billnoll.com/g5/
(photos of a G5 by a professional photgrapher.)

George

Post by George » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:25 am

Yep dont even think of copying an Apple design , their lawyers will be all over you. Why do you think no one else can even build a side opening hinged door like in the mac G4's or even built in handles _(running horizontally across the face -Large single handles seem to be ok) If I remember they sued emachines over a Imac look alike -they also sued some other company over a cube like design.

But they cant stop handy people from buying mac cases and filling them with pc parts :)
I personally think the G5 looks like a old styled cheese grater. Dont get me wrong I still like it -just not as much as the old graphite and blue G4 -

Semm

Post by Semm » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:20 am

Doesn't one of the SFFs have a handle across the face horizontally? I can't remember which, but I remember thinking it's a handy feature for someone who goes to a lot of LAN parties, or just has to move his PC around a lot. It doesn't really seem like a patentable idea, but again...Not my field. I guess if some guy can patent the idea of a handheld PC without ever having had a working model... Hope I don't get in trouble for drilling holes in my old computer's case and attaching heavy nylon straps for carrying it :roll:

Semm