FT05 SLI - but can it handle Xeon and dual Radeon?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Proteus7

FT05 SLI - but can it handle Xeon and dual Radeon?

Post by Proteus7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:09 pm

So, I'm looking for a nice, quiet case for my new build. The review of the FT05 looked good, but I'm wondering how it will handle a 145w Xeon (E5-2699v3) and a pair of reference AMD R9-290 graphics cards? MB is Asus X99 deluxe, and I will NOT be overclocking. Just stability, speed, and especially, low noise, it's basically a workstation/gaming build. I know I'll never be able to match the new Mac Pro, but hoping I can come close with the FT05? I want to stay with air cooling for noise, thinking of the noctua DH-15 (with just center fan)

Are there other cases I should be looking at instead? The FT02 is an option, but a little deep. The Fractal R5 seems popular, but supposedly may have trouble with the heat.
Truly tall cases (over 24") won't work, since it's going under a desk. The Maingear Shift (aluminum clad RV01) looks great, but noise levels are unknown, and its $700 delivered.
Ideas? Can the FT05 handle the thermals (about 900w) and still remain quiet?

Pappnaas

Re: FT05 SLI - but can it handle Xeon and dual Radeon?

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Which "reference" cards are you referring to?

If that means stock blower style cooler, low noise will be hard to reach, regardless of which case you choose.

Proteus7

Post by Proteus7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:13 am

Yes, they're both blower types (which are supposedly the best for these vertical cases). So I'll have to live with them. This is why case cooling is important in this setup :). I'm hoping that since they're be firing upwards, into the underside of a thick deal, that should muffle them quite a bit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 am

For $4000 CPU, i would suggest investing on a custom water loop, CaseLabs have some of the best cases, they are expensive, but they are really flexible into what you can do, get some low FPI rads with low rpm fans and end up with a very quiet setup.

Proteus7

Post by Proteus7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Despite the components, this is actually being built on a budget (already have CPU). I would prefer to keep this air cooled, or closed loop cooler if at all possible. Abula, I did notice that you're running an SLI setup in the FT05. The Xeon, with 18cores seems like a big deal, but its only 145W tdp, vs 140tdp for the i7-5960x (which many would OC anyways). Are you pretty happy with noise levels in yours? is it noticeable from, say 3 feet away?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Proteus7 wrote: Are you pretty happy with noise levels in yours? is it noticeable from, say 3 feet away?
On idle yes, its inaudible, but mine its not on my desk, its to the side of it, i would say its around 4 ft, but yes i cant hear it at all in idle, on benchmarks its loud specially the first GPU, on gaming its not silent, but quiet enough for my liking, but one thing you have to keep in mind is i run AP182 that allow lower rpms than the AP181 (that come with the case), also its key to get a good motherboard that can manage the fans, like ASUS with FanXpert2 or MSI with its bios fan control, AsRock seems good also but i dont have experience with it. But remember most of my gaming bearly loads the CPU, im guessing you went with 18 core because you need it.... so idk, TDP are to me worthless, take the current gen of 1155, my 4790K can reach 90C under prime95 for 2 hours, but the newer E series are also soldier and should net good temps or similar with higher tdp.... so until you really try you wont know, still i would recommend to consider a custom water loop with a Caselabs case (or Phantek Entho), the AMD GPU will be much noisier than the Nvidias, and given you have much higher end CPU, and if you plan on loading it... i would certainly see the gains of a water loop on your setup.

Proteus7

Post by Proteus7 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for all the advice on here. I went ahead and built the system, and its been flawless. Now sitting under my desk almost totally silent. If I game, I can hear (softly) the fans ramp up. The final build:

Asus X99-Deluxe 3.1 mb
Xeon E5-2699v3, w/Noctua NH-D15 cooler (middle fan only
FT05 case (no window)
Corsair AX1200 PS
2x GB Reference R9 290 video cards

Silverstone really did a nice job with this case. I've been playing around with the fan settings, and so far, putting the AP181s on high, and letting Asus Fan Xpert do its thing seems to be working wonders.