What full tower cases are most [quiet]?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Runes

What full tower cases are most [quiet]?

Post by Runes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 am

I need a full tower case with plenty of room for sleeving behind the motherboard tray. No windows.

I don't want to install aftermarket noise dampening so I'd rather have the case already be excellent at blocking or absorbing noise.

I would like the ability to cleanly install aftermarket fans (like Noctua, Noiseblocker, or Be Quiet!).

I just don't want to be stuck with some propietary fans which aren't silent; or have fans built into the case causing clutter if I'm not going to use them.

Cheaper would be better, I'd prefer not to spend $300. I'd much prefer $100-200.

Some I've looked at

NZXT H630 CA-H630F-M1 Matte Black Ultra Tower Silent Case Includes 1 x 200mm Front, 1 x 140mm Rear 2 x USB 3.0 2 x USB 2.0 SD Card Reader
$149.99 +$20 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146104

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black/Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352029
$129.99 +$14 shipping

Antec Performance One Series P193 V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129176
$164.99 +$13 shipping

Which of these is the best? Are there any others I should consider too?

What would you buy & why?

Thanks,
Runes

Abula

Re: What full tower cases are most silent?

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:47 am

I used to enjoy big towers, but unless i need the space i dont think its worth it.

Out of the what you are considering, i would go with Fracalt Design XL R2, its the same as my Define R4 just bigger. Both have the same room on the back though, only the height and that XL R2 has more PCI slots for a bigger motherboard and more 5.25 slots that for me are of no use, cooling they should be very similar.

One other that you should probably consider since you want a full tower, is the Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case, reviewed also by SPCR Antec P280: Performance One Refresh. But i would still go with XL R2.

Btw on amazon you can get the same price on both cases, just with free shipping.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 am

What do you plan to stuff in it? Some cases tradeoff thermal performance for noise others are the reverse.

Runes

Post by Runes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Abula wrote:I used to enjoy big towers, but unless i need the space i dont think its worth it.

Out of the what you are considering, i would go with Fracalt Design XL R2, its the same as my Define R4 just bigger. Both have the same room on the back though, only the height and that XL R2 has more PCI slots for a bigger motherboard and more 5.25 slots that for me are of no use, cooling they should be very similar.

One other that you should probably consider since you want a full tower, is the Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case, reviewed also by SPCR Antec P280: Performance One Refresh. But i would still go with XL R2.

Btw on amazon you can get the same price on both cases, just with free shipping.
I didn't think about looking on amazon, thanks.

I definitely need a full tower. Mainly for the drive bays. I'm going to be sorting and storing files from a lot of different hard drives.

That's another thing I forgot to mention, are there any cases that have hard drive suspension designed into the case? Or at the very least soft silicone mounts instead of screws?

I don't think a mid tower case will cut it for my needs.
CA_Steve wrote:What do you plan to stuff in it? Some cases tradeoff thermal performance for noise others are the reverse.
Temporarily
4770K (stock clocked), Noctua NH-D14 heatsink, Full Z87 ATX board (12" x 10.39") , BeQuiet DPP 10 1200W PSU, asus GTX 760 DCUII, Sound Blaster Titanium, 3-4 SSDs, 7-8 HDDs, DVD-ROM drive, BD-RW drive

After a couple months I'll be down to 4 SSDs and 4HDDs as I back up important files from my old HDDs to BD-R and move them to storage.

The number of fans I have will depend on the case. I'd like to put in Noctua ULN low-rpm case fans, but if the case dampens sound really well I could put medium-rpm Noctuas in.

I'll have a lot of cables running throughout the case and would like them to stay neat so that's why I want a roomy area behind the mobo tray to snake all those wires and tuck any slack in them.

Hope this helps. :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Runes wrote:That's another thing I forgot to mention, are there any cases that have hard drive suspension designed into the case? Or at the very least soft silicone mounts instead of screws?
The Define R4 has silicone mounts, but no real suspension, the only case i know has suspension built in is the Antec Solo II, but only for 2 hdds. If you want to suspend hdds its best to go for cases full of 5.25 on the front, that will allow you easily to do your own suspension on mulitple drives, you should check the sticky, HDD Elastic Suspension... Show your pics!
Runes wrote:Temporarily
4770K (stock clocked), Noctua NH-D14 heatsink, Full Z87 ATX board (12" x 10.39") , BeQuiet DPP 10 1200W PSU, asus GTX 760 DCUII, Sound Blaster Titanium, 3-4 SSDs, 7-8 HDDs, DVD-ROM drive, BD-RW drive
Personally for so many HDDs i would suggest to build your own server and if you can take away from where you can't hear it.

Since the XL R2 only has space for 8hdds, and it has 4x 5.25 slots and you seem to only need 2, use the other two for couple of ORICO AC525-2S -BK Aluminum 2 Bay 5.25 " to 2.5 " Hard Drive SSD mounting Converter Bracket Adapter to install you ssds there, they are cheap and pretty good. Btw what Z87 you going to use? you seem to need 14 sata ports.

Just a small warning on the XL, on my define my seasonic x660 barely reaches 8pin cpu power, so probably on the XL you going to need an extension (will depend how long are the cables on your BeQuiet).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm

Two thoughts:
- since a bunch of the HDDs are going to be archived/retired, why not just get a case to fit the end solution? When you get around to archiving, just use eSATA to plug in a drive.
- that's a crazy large PSU for what you are putting in the box...even accounting for HDD spin up at boot. Your end system will draw maybe 360W during stressed load...assuming all drives are accessed. Even if the 8 HDDs draw 20W ea during spin up, your worst case boot up power is maybe 330W.

colm

Re: What full tower cases are most [quiet]?

Post by colm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm

a good rule of thumb, inquire about thickness. if a reply of secc 1.0mm , all good.. the rest needs a recycle bin of trash. Then, after you finally get one, get some two part urethane for cars and smother it. Brand name game is useless.

NeilBlanchard

Re: What full tower cases are most [quiet]?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 am

0.8mm thick metal is often also strong enough. It depends on the design. 1.0mm is nice, but not absolutely required.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 am

Runes wrote:Temporarily

After a couple months I'll be down to 4 SSDs and 4HDDs as I back up important files from my old HDDs to BD-R and move them to storage.

The number of fans I have will depend on the case. I'd like to put in Noctua ULN low-rpm case fans, but if the case dampens sound really well I could put medium-rpm Noctuas in.

I'll have a lot of cables running throughout the case and would like them to stay neat so that's why I want a roomy area behind the mobo tray to snake all those wires and tuck any slack in them.

Hope this helps. :)

Even if it's probably too late: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Mid-Tower ... igurations