Last piece of the puzzle... Define R4 or Deep Silence1?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dfc

Last piece of the puzzle... Define R4 or Deep Silence1?

Post by dfc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi,

My final build is:
- i7-4790K (might OC in the future)
- EVGA 780 ACX FTW edition
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1
- Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2*8GB
- Intel SSD 730 240GB
- Scythe Kotetsu
- Seasonic X-Series 750 KM3

I just need a case :)
I've read the reviews here, and seen some answers. The Corsair is too expensive as an option, and I want the system to be quiet (not silent).

My main issue is how the airflow will be effected with such a GPU/CPU and a constraint cases such as those (I plan on using the builtin fans they come with each one).

Which would you go for R4 or DS1 ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Last piece of the puzzle... Define R4 or Deep Silence1?

Post by MikeC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:30 pm

R4. DS1 is more airflow-restrictive, so will cause thermally-controlled fans to speed up a bit more.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Both are very similar, i personally like more the R4 out of having 140mm fans, but there are much more viable choices on 120, but both should work fine. If you see in my signature there is a similar build to what you are planning, where you can see temps among other things.

If you havent bought the GPU yet, i would recommend to drop it in favor of an GTX970, less heat inside the case and if you go with MSI it would be semi passive.

dfc

Post by dfc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:58 pm

I already have all the parts, and because it came as a bundle i can't resell the parts (at least officially), but it cost me less then normal prices here...

As for the case, cool build ! but I don't plan on going up to the scale of replacing the GPU cooler / messing with the case fans (unless I will be ultra annoyed by the end result). But it seems that in your case (playing non demanding games) the temp of the GPU is a non-issue.

It's too bad I don't see too many online reviews of airflow considerations of thisGPU with the R4 and the DS1.

I really set my eyes on the DS1 (and people here even told me that I should get it because it will do damage control on the GTX780's noise), but this airflow is really bugging me and making me to think about going to the R4 (I think the official SPCR review of the DS1 says the R4 is better in this regards). Ofc some (including some people / shops) told me it doesn't matter either way, buy the one you think looks better (the DS1 is 10$ more here).

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:09 am

dfc wrote:As for the case, cool build ! but I don't plan on going up to the scale of replacing the GPU cooler / messing with the case fans (unless I will be ultra annoyed by the end result). But it seems that in your case (playing non demanding games) the temp of the GPU is a non-issue.
There are a lot of quiet GTX780s, like the MSI GTX780 gaming, but there are others that are noisy, personally i never tried the evga acx... but from what i read was not that quiet. I didnt need an aftermarket cooler for it, was just more a hobby/project for me, simply got tired of wating for the custom coolers, and took a reference one with the intention of testing aftermarket. About the fans, the included are decent fans, not bad not great, but i would suggest to get one more though, as the R4 only comes with 2, Antec True Quiet 140 are very cheap fans that are very good for building a quiet R4.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Another case that you should consider is the NZXT Technologies H440 Mid Tower Chassis Cases, a little more expensive but comes with a lot of fans included, similar but no 5.25 slots and instead an extra fan, the case seems restricted as the R4 or DS1, but personally i like the look of it. Im wondering how is Gigabyte this days with fan control with their easytune.