Fractal R4, alternative

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

python.p

Fractal R4, alternative

Post by python.p » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 am

Hi, I´m looking for some good PC Case good for silent PC. My favorites are NZXT H2, Nanoxia Deep Silence and Fractal all in white color. Do you have any idea for better case ? max 150USD, but i don´t have problem with DIY dampings.

I want have there i7-920 but later on i5-xxxx K w/ NoFan CR-95C Copper
R9 280 w/ Alpethofer Peter + 2x Nexus D12SL
Seasonic G 550W
and SSD

Case looking to have 4x or 6x Nexus

Thank you for any idea ;)

sorry for my bad english

CA_Steve

Re: Fractal R4, alternative

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:11 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Any of the three cases listed can provide a quiet gaming build. Pick one you like for the features/price. I lean toward the Fractal Define R4 as the best all around of the three.

The No-Fan cooler is best suited for lower power builds. I don't understand why you would go with a fanless CPU cooler and then want to place 6-8 fans around the case and GPU. Go with a decent tower cooler.

python.p

Post by python.p » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 am

Thank you :)

And what about something similar to Raven R03 with turned MB but on more decent design. Color is not dealbreaker, I will do some paintjob.

I have this cooler, from old RIG, why to buy new one ;)

6x FAN with minimum RPM will be more silent and have better CFM, instead of 2 FAN at maximum RPM.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:05 pm

You failed to mention that you already owned the No-Fan in your initial post....

In general, more lower rpm fans can provide a better cooling/noise solution than a few high rpm fans. However, high wattage devices, like CPUs and GPUs benefit MUCH more from direct airflow than from indirect (case fan) airflow. So, while it might be done the way you want to do it, I'd expect you'd have to either crank up the case fan rpm or strap one onto the No-Fan.

As for rotated motherboard cases, you might want to read the mfgrs FAQs regarding heatpipe direction on CPU and Gfx cards and the impact on cooling.