Anti-vibration feet for the case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kirbysdl

Anti-vibration feet for the case

Post by kirbysdl » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:30 pm

This might not be as much of a problem if you put your cases on the ground, but my machines sit on desks, and they can make the whole desk vibrate (I guess it doesn't help that I haven't made them quiet yet). i'm wondering if anyone has ever tried replacing the stock feet with some softer rubbery feet to stop vibrations.

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/1212.html

Above and below the fan mounts on that page are rubber feet that might work. i'm guessing that a 20 lb max weight item would probably be good (I'll have other problems such as a collapsing desk if I get a 100lb computer).

All ideas welcome... =)

P.S. I think the ones below the fan mounts have holes in the rubber ball too, meaning those might scratch the desk surface.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:34 pm

My desk has a storage area for my computer (you know... the type with a closable door). When my HP CD-ROM powers up it vibrates... a lot. I can feel the vibrations if my foot touches the desk. I went to Lowes and spent 3 bucks on rubber furniture pads... took care of the problem quite nicely.

Henrik
Friend of SPCR

Post by Henrik » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:37 am

You could do what I did, cut out some pieces from your old mousepad. Nice and cheap. :D

jsturnham

Post by jsturnham » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:10 pm

Not sure if you already knew but quietpc sells quietfeet for cases:

http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showprod. ... roup_ID=18

kirbysdl

Post by kirbysdl » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:26 pm

jsturnham: Thanks for the link! Those seem really nice, but they're considerably more expensive than the mcmaster parts.

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:00 pm

kirbysdl wrote:jsturnham: Thanks for the link! Those seem really nice, but they're considerably more expensive than the mcmaster parts.
An item that McMaster sells that seems more directly comparable to the parts from quietpc are the "Adhesive-Backed Load-Rated Soft Bumpers" found on the bottom of page 3420. Price-wise, the smaller feet are over 50% cheaper at McMaster, while the large are only around 10%. I'm not sure if these are the exact same parts, but it was the closest thing I found in the McMaster catalog. If anyone tries them out, please post your results!

If you don't move your computer around a lot, you could try something as simple as putting a large mouse pad (sometimes called "printer pads") under the PC.

kirbysdl

Post by kirbysdl » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:54 am

Ok I bought 4 of the 60525K13 and 4 of the 8215K11. I don't like adhesives, but the hemispheres do seem like better solutions for this. We'll see.

See http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/3420.html and the link in the first post for specs.

In hindsight, using the 2-inch hemispheres would give enough clearance for a bottom-mounted case fan, or at least a nice big vent.

Also btw, they have some nice 3" and 4" plastic/aluminum fan guards. By themselves, they might not filter out enough dust, but a dryer sheet might do the trick. Search for "fan guard"

No, i don't work for them. :wink:

jsturnham

Post by jsturnham » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:31 am

Be sure to let us know how those feet turn out when they arrive Kirby

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Case feet

Post by the_smell » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:06 am

Some other cheap alternatives :) for case feet are using a couple ofsquash balls cut in two (I've used these before to isolate a CD player from vibrations), or alternatively cutting up a camping roll matt and sitting you case on a couple of layers. The latter worked a treat for me for my gaming.

jafb2000
-- Vendor --

Post by jafb2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:58 pm

Squash balls are a good idea, squashed balls are not.

Some alternatives are:
o Sorbothane feet - half-cut squash balls made of sorbothane
o Decoupling spikes - more commonly used on speaker stands

The latter Are Not A Good Idea for desks.
However, for hard floors they could be quite useful.

The problem, though, is why does the case need decoupling?
o If the case needs decoupling
o Then something is exciting the case into resonance

You need to address that substrate excitation really, because
the sides & panels of a case will act as speaker cones very easily.
Too difficult to nylon-bolt the case together, but you have localised
motors causing excitation which need to be isolated very clearly.

An old trick for motherboards (since the CPU fan can often be a
major vibration source) is to replace the motherboard mounts with
nylon spacers and use nylon bolts. Not all cases permit this.

jafb2000
-- Vendor --

Post by jafb2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:04 pm

Squash balls are a good idea, squashed balls are not.

Some alternatives are:
o Sorbothane feet - half-cut squash balls made of sorbothane
o Decoupling spikes - more commonly used on speaker stands

The latter Are Not A Good Idea for desks.
However, for hard floors they could be quite useful.

The problem, though, is why does the case need decoupling?
o If the case needs decoupling
o Then something is exciting the case into resonance

You need to address that substrate excitation really, because
the sides & panels of a case will act as speaker cones very easily.
Too difficult to nylon-bolt the case together, but you have localised
motors causing excitation which need to be isolated very clearly.

An old trick for motherboards (since the CPU fan can often be a
major vibration source) is to replace the motherboard mounts with
nylon spacers and use nylon bolts. Not all cases permit this.

kirbysdl

Post by kirbysdl » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:23 pm

The order just arrived. The hemispheres (8215k11) do seem better for this purpose. They are a bit squishier. The blue molded things seem stiffer, and the nub that sticks out the top needs modding before it will fit in a computer case foot mounting hole. Nonetheless, I do prefer something that mounts with a screw over an adhesive.

If/when I get a dremel, maybe I can enlarge the mounting holes in my case. Either way, the case is now going to be about an inch off the surface it rests on... seems like it will be topheavy. :P

I'll post again when I actually get the damn things installed.

jafb2000
-- Vendor --

Post by jafb2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:55 pm

Don't use a Dremel to enlarge holes :-)
Can be a shockingly noisy, if visually entertaining experience.

You can pickup Reamers to do this very easily & quickly.
A lot cheaper than a dremel for a simple T-handled unit.

Good for making holes bigger, and also if absent minded
realising that you made them too big. Then it's an exercise
in moving up in fastener size - or LED size *smile*.

Got a lot of 3mm LEDs left over... used up all my 5mm oddly enough...

kirbysdl

Post by kirbysdl » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:10 am

I decided to mount the feet with holes in my new case. I'll save the stickies for the old computer. I got some 10/32 bolts, nuts, various washers and bolted the feet onto the case. The feet have a small protrusion at the top that I cut off so that each would mount flush with the case bottom. Now the case looks like it's flying (nearly an inch off the desk).

While the whole point of this is vibration dampening, it hasn't been too good in that area. When the hard drive seeks, I can feel it in the desk, so I'm sure that's adding to the noise. As far as the noise goes, I haven't had a chance to do much with that. I need to figure out a mounting strategy for my panaflos. Until then, I'm using the default 120mm fan which is a real screamer.

Since the case is so high up though, I think I'll install one or two 120mm filters on the bottom of the case (with no fans). That way, air could have another way to come in, helping to equalize pressure, and the filter (and gravity) would prevent most of the dust from coming in.

(This was mistakenly posted as a new topic... oops.)
Henrik wrote:I'm not sure if I understand what you have done. The part about the new feet sounds interresting though! A picture?
I link to the feet at the start of this thread. I'll have pictures later... I'm still trying to figure everything out right now. Sorry!

--Curby

Lilla

Pictures of Lilla's homemade "quiet feet"

Post by Lilla » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:43 pm

I (my Dad actually) made some homemade "quiet feet" for the computer I am building. They turned out good, and I have some pictures of them that I wanted to share in this thread.

Pictures of Lilla's case preparation and "quiet feet". There are two pictures of the feet.

Sorry, but I cannot report on how well my "quiet feet" work just yet because after receiving two motherboards that were returned/refurbished instead of "truely new" I have decided to wait for the revised motherboard which is due to hit the shelves soon as old inventory is depleted.

Lilla

exrcoupe

Post by exrcoupe » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:46 pm

I used those felt pads with adhesives that you use for putting under table legs or furniture to avoid scratching the floor. I stuck two of them together and then stuck them to the case. No vibrations from the case to the desk and it was super cheap.