htpc cases in the uk

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mynci
Friend of SPCR

htpc cases in the uk

Post by mynci » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:59 pm

just real quick as i should be at work already, but i really want to build a htpc system, probably built around an athlon ~2.2 and a good (not haupauge) digital tv card. i have my eye on a nice cheap asustek mobo, 1 agp 3 pci, onbourd everything. but the real poser is what case to go for, i want something withh the sort of looks that the d.vine case has, capable of taking a couple of pci cards and 80mm fans. a standard, or easily moded to 80mm psu would be a must as well.

any suggestions? must be availible in the uk, for less than say, £50.

thanks a lot, i really am late now - ill have to run.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:30 am

I'm not sure about a case that matches yoiur requirements. I've built a HTPC using a MATX board in a Lian Li PC-9300, which takes a SFX PSU (I used a 180W one). That totalled more than £50 for me. I did some mods to remove the 80mm fan from the power supply (It's a Sparkle one, but was too noisy). I have a Zlaman flower cooler and used a 120mm fan sucking across the flower and out through a half opened PSU.

Rgarding your TV card, I have (in a different system to my HTPC), a Nebula DigiTV which picks up Freeview. I highly recomend on if you're looking for such a card.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:37 am

yep it was the nebula i was going for, such great reviews compared to haupauge.

where did you get that lian li case? whats the psu and where did you get it? questions questions.
it certainly seems almost exactly what im after, however the lack of 80mm fan mounts on the rear may mean i need to do a similar mod to yourself, do you have any pics?

any cheaper cases that look similar? as long as they look good compared to say a cheap video or midrange widescreen silver tv then thats ok, mainly i want quiet then cheap then style.

thanks a lot