Nanoxia DS2 Upgrading

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

theholeyone

Nanoxia DS2 Upgrading

Post by theholeyone » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:37 am

Let me start by saying, this case is a beast, 20kg before adding components, motherboards up to HPTX, huge format graphics cards, excellent cable routing solutions. 4 5.25in drive bays plus standard fan controller and 13 3.5in drive bays.

http://www.nanoxia-world.com/product/1/ ... +Silence+6+

Other points I really like is the pop up IO panel, front doors. This thing is clean; and stealthily quiet.

However, the quietness comes at a price, and that price is manually operable top venting. Chimneys they call it. The switch to operate them is clunky, while they work really well in both closed state for quiet, and open state for cooling. The transition between them needs an upgrade.

So I have decided to make these servo controlled, using hobby servo and an arduino to take a fan signal from the mobo, and actuate the vents with that. I'll also use the same signal to switch on the top fans, and switch the front fans speed to top fan speed level.
In effect, for my two fan control sliders that come stock; one will control the front fans for quiet operation, to keep air moving as much as possible without being obtrusive. The second will control the front and top fans (4 in total) when the case is running hot.

Basically I'm posting about it now just to see if anyone has any extra ideas for functionality, or if there is interest in me designing it (the electronics side that is) for a wider range of cases/fan configs; I kinda think the power/hdd lighting is a bit brighter than needs to be for a case of this style, but it is also still less bright than my mouse and equally easy to put some paper over if required...

theholeyone

Re: Nanoxia DS2 Upgrading

Post by theholeyone » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:10 am

CA_Steve

Re: Nanoxia DS2 Upgrading

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:32 am

nice :)