quiet aluminum?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rtype

quiet aluminum?

Post by rtype » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:18 pm

I'm considering picking up a black Lian Li PC61 but I know for the hardcore silencing, you need to drill out the grills and use fan guards instead. Have any of you done such a thing? I'm assuming the difficulty of cutting aluminum is part of the reason plastic cases are so prominent here?

DonP

Post by DonP » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:27 pm

I used a hacksaw to cut out the rear stamped grille in my PC-60. I've never modded my case before so I don't know how hard it is in comparison to other cases but I think it was pretty easy.

DonP.

PS I don't think plastic cases are prominent here, steel yes, with some plastic trimmings, but not completely plastic. I guess there are the clear acrylic cases, but they are for people who like lots and lots of lights in their case.

EDIT: Just a warning, the Lian-Li has a removable mobo tray so you may feel like doing the mod without removing the mobo and just pulling out the tray.. if you do do this be very very careful not to let any aluminium shavings fall onto your mobo or gfx card.. they can be very dangerous. I, of course, didn't take out the mobo/gfx but I taped an envelope below each cut I was making.. but do be very very careful.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:19 pm

Aluminum is much easier to cut than standard steel cases. The reason most people use steel instead of aluminum is a matter of cost and availability. Steel cases perform exactly the same as aluminum ones for much less money, and there are more styles of steel cases available than there are aluminum ones.