Looking for microATX or miniITX quiet case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Zen__

Looking for microATX or miniITX quiet case

Post by Zen__ » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:54 am

Hi,
I need to replace my old pc and my old case (an almost broken Antec P150) with a new one.

I've just ordered a Intel i5-6500 but I can't choose the right case. I will use the integrated Intel HD graphic card because I don't play games. Also the case will be put under the desk.

What case should I buy?

I've done some research and I've also read Case Basics & Recommendations but I'm still undecided. Silverstone TJ08-E looks great but has a loud front intake fan and it's not damped; Fractal design Define Mini looks too big for my needs, Fractal Design Node 304 seems too short to be put under a desk, also mini-ITX motherboards costs more and has less expandibiliy.

So, what case should I buy?

Thanks

Abula

Re: Looking for microATX or miniITX quiet case

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!!

Silverstone TJ08-E is a very nice micro atx case, the frontal fan is audible, but if you undervolt it to the max it should be no more than a wosh, if you read SPCR SilverStone Temjin TJ08-E: MicroATX Evolved you will find comments like
The Temjin TJ08-E ships with a single 18 cm 3-pin Air Penetrator fan with the model number "S1803212HN-3M" which is the same fan included with the Sugo SG07. It has a top speed of ~1200 RPM and a power rating of 0.45 amps (5.4W). Its acoustic character is reasonably good with a smooth profile at lower speeds. It also has a slight hum that becomes more pronounced at medium speed but is drowned out by air turbulence at higher speeds.

Powered by a full 12V, the low speed setting is disappointing, measuring an unacceptable 27 dBA@1m (equivalent to 7V at the high speed setting). We recommend using the low setting combined with some kind of voltage control, either via your motherboard or a dedicated fan control device. 9V~10V is a good starting range depending on the other components in the system.
To be able to do this, my suggestion is to get a motherboard that can undervolt easily, for example Asus mobos come with fanXpert that should allow you to drop it to around 450-500 rpms (or the bios seems also capable), you can always change the frontal fan if you wish, the AP182 + Asus FanXpert should allow you to drop it close to 200rpms where its not audible, you can read more about it Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182. Most of what makes it audible on the TJ08-E is the frontal mesh, but really its not such a big deal.

Now if you want a similar case with some frontal damping, i would suggest to take a look into Silverstone PS07, you can read more in the SPCR SilverStone Precision PS07: Budget MicroATX Tower, the biggest changes over the TJ08-E are more plastic, a frontal door/cover, 2x120mm instead of the 180mm fan. But dont expect the same level of performance of the TJ08-E, the AP181 is a massive fan not only bigger but wider, it really pushes big amounts of air, but at the same time there are gains here, might not perform as good, but the usage of 120mm fans open you a ton of aftermarket options, that should end up quieter.

As a last suggestions, Silvertone kinda revamp their successful micro atx line with the Silverstone KL06, which seems like hybrid between the TJ08-E and the PS07, not that many reviews are out, if you wish to see more check SilverStone Kublai KL06 Micro ATX Review.

Btw also check SPCR Journey to a Silent MicroATX Gamer to get some ideas.

Good luck with the choice,

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:27 am

Zen__ wrote:What case should I buy?

What about another Antec? The Solo II isn't that large.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:56 am

What other components are you going to put in the case? If you have onboard graphics and an i5 6500 then heat output won't be that great so cooling won't be too much of a challenge. I've had a great deal of success with the Raijintek Metis but this will only work with a minimal set of drives and may not suit your under desk situation as it is very tiny.

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:06 am

Abula wrote:
Silverstone TJ08-E is a very nice micro atx case, the frontal fan is audible, but if you undervolt it to the max it should be no more than a wosh
Hi, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can't undervolt fan because I don't plan to buy a Z170 motherboard (too expensive) and I'm running Linux. A fan controller should be an option, but why don't switch to KL06 or PS07? I haven't a graphic card.
quest_for_silence wrote:
Zen__ wrote:What case should I buy?

What about another Antec? The Solo II isn't that large.
It's psychological: I don't want to replace a case with an evolution of it.
edh wrote:What other components are you going to put in the case? If you have onboard graphics and an i5 6500 then heat output won't be that great so cooling won't be too much of a challenge. I've had a great deal of success with the Raijintek Metis but this will only work with a minimal set of drives and may not suit your under desk situation as it is very tiny.
Hi, thank you for your answer. I'm planning to add a ssd, and two hard disk. I've also considered Jonsbo/Rosewill Legacy/Colltek U3 (I've read spcr review) but don't you think it can be so hot inside the case?

edh

Post by edh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:30 am

Zen__ wrote:Unfortunately I can't undervolt fan because I don't plan to buy a Z170 motherboard
I'm not sure I see the logic. Undervolting a fan can be done entirely separately from the motherboard. You just hook the fan up to 5V power rather than 12V power. Alternatively you can use a fan resistor cable or better still allow the motherboard to control the fanspeed automatically - this is also entirely separate from OS. I run Linux too and have no problems with the motherboard controlling fan speed even if right now I can't get the fan speed reported in lmsensors. No one should ever need to have a manual fan controller, they are obsolete given that modern motherboards have good thermal fan control.
Zen__ wrote:I'm planning to add a ssd, and two hard disk.
What format of SSD will you be intending to use? 2.5" or M.2? M.2 has a lot of advantages in a small system.
Zen__ wrote:I've also considered Jonsbo/Rosewill Legacy/Colltek U3 (I've read spcr review) but don't you think it can be so hot inside the case?
Shouldn't be a problem. You'll have a TDP of less than 100W which is significantly less than the 282W system tested by SPCR in the U3.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:14 am

Zen__ wrote:
Abula wrote:
Silverstone TJ08-E is a very nice micro atx case, the frontal fan is audible, but if you undervolt it to the max it should be no more than a wosh
Hi, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can't undervolt fan because I don't plan to buy a Z170 motherboard (too expensive) and I'm running Linux. A fan controller should be an option, but why don't switch to KL06 or PS07? I haven't a graphic card.
Undervolting via motherboard is not limited to Z170, probably higher en boards have better options, but i have built on H81 on MSI and still get the same bios fan control options as my MSI Z87.

Have you bought the motherboard yet?

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:56 am

edh wrote: What format of SSD will you be intending to use? 2.5" or M.2? M.2 has a lot of advantages in a small system.
Sorry, I've already bought a 2.5" ssd.
edh wrote:
Zen__ wrote:I've also considered Jonsbo/Rosewill Legacy/Colltek U3 (I've read spcr review) but don't you think it can be so hot inside the case?
Shouldn't be a problem. You'll have a TDP of less than 100W which is significantly less than the 282W system tested by SPCR in the U3.
Don't you think aluminium small cases, such Lian-Li and Jonsbo/Cooltek, are more prone to hdd vibrations and dust? For example Jonsbo U3 has a negative air pressure but it doesn't have any dust filter.
Abula wrote: Have you bought the motherboard yet?
Not yet.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:26 am

Zen__ wrote:
Abula wrote:Have you bought the motherboard yet?
Not yet.
Well i would first pick the case mostly because of the options you will end up for fan control.

Asus
Given that you cant use FanXpert because of your linux orientation, they seem to have progress or implemented a little of FanXpert on their bios, it seems it has the running inside the UEFI where the bios can establish the minimums for each fan header / fan, it also seems you can run PWM or Voltage control on each header (switchable on the bios). If all what im saying its true (i dont own a Skylake mobo), then this is probably the route to go, on the past gens their micro ATX plus line has been very complete and price competitive, Skylake seems no different, the motherboard i recommend you research is the ASUS H170M-PLUS/CSM Intel Motherboard.

MSI
Recently i build on H170 Gaming for a friend, and the bios is much better than mine, the PWM fan control on the CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 headers was better with more breaking points, i tested a Thermalright TY147A and was able to drop it to 300rpms. Where i struggled was on the "voltage controlled headers" which suppose to be SYS_FAN, in the past you could control dynamically this headers, 50% to 100% in increments of 10%, was not as good as FanXpert, but still was pretty decent, hell this is how i run my AP182 and they are being controlled by motherboard on pure bios dynamically depending on the CPU temperature, now on the H170 it seems its a little different, i can either go flat voltage allowing 40% as the minimum but not dynamic, when i click the smart fan feature it ramps the fans to 12V or 100%, and even though i can click the breaking points and set the graph, the fan always stays at full rpms, im guessing the clicking of the smart fan makes it or converts it to PWM, but im not sure, i didn't have enough time to test. So to recommend you something that would work dynamically, is just to use the CPU_FAN header, i tested it and it works a mine (well better), the issue here is that you will need a PWM fan Splitter and PWM fans that have a good range of control like Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM, the PWM fan control allows increments of 12.5% (or 13% as displayed by the UEFI), there are some interesting micro atx mobos from MSI, one that i woudl suggest your research is the MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151, they also have their ECO line coming probably before years end, and usually are micro atx motherboards.

AsRock
I don't have much info here, but on Z87 they were very good into their bios fan control on their PWM fan headers (CPU_FAN), they had already multiple breakpoints and increments of 1% much more control than MSI or asus, but what i didnt like much was the other headers that was with presets (if i remember correctly), but a lot has changed since two years, so they could have better implementations on the voltage controlled headers. Also one plus note on AsRock, is that with the absence of intel on the motherboard manufacturing business, they seem to be one of the most efficient boards around, but as i said have not tested anything recent from them to recommend you, although one that caught my eye was the ASRock B150M Pro4.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Abula wrote:Given that you cant use FanXpert because of your linux orientation, they seem to have progress or implemented a little of FanXpert on their bios, it seems it has the running inside the UEFI where the bios can establish the minimums for each fan header / fan, it also seems you can run PWM or Voltage control on each header (switchable on the bios). If all what im saying its true (i dont own a Skylake mobo), then this is probably the route to go,
I run an Asus Z170I Pro Gaming under Linux and the fan control in the BIOS is very good. Just make sure that PWM fans are used as they won't all offer speed control for DC fans.

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Abula wrote: Asus
[...]
MSI
[..]
AsRock
Thank you for this advanced explanation. I'm also considering Gigabyte.
edh wrote: Just make sure that PWM fans are used as they won't all offer speed control for DC fans.
Thank you. Not all cases have 4 pin pwm fans.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Gigabyte is the worst of the four for BIOS level fan control.

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:49 pm

Hi,
than you for your answers. Due my low TDP, do you think Silverstone PS07 is also a good case for my needs?

Thanks

Edit: I've just re-read PS07 review: it's worse than TJ08-E.

baii

Post by baii » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 pm

To be honest, any of the 160mm tower heatsink will let you run passive most of the time for typical computer task (browsing/video/word processing) in a rather open flow case without any case fan , as long as you are comfortable seeing higher temp.

If you are sensitive to bearing noise, best is buy fan from place you can return. 2 MB fan header is plenty for 2-3 fan.

Ultimate, you can even cheap out on the case and just get a no fan cr95.

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi, I've just ordered Asrock H170M Pro4S motherboard but I'm still undecided about case.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:01 am

Zen__ wrote:Hi, I've just ordered Asrock H170M Pro4S motherboard but I'm still undecided about case.
Well the case its up to your personal preference, as i said before, i believe the TJ08-E is the best of them, but you gotta understand that AP181 while very capable and TJ08-E is a very well design in terms of air cooling, the fan is noticeble, specially because of the mesh and because the fan rpms, you need to be able to drop it to 500rpm or less to take it to a very low noise, still its noticeble on a very quiet night, but its more a wosh of the air going through the mesh/fan filter. The AP181 on the TJ08-E has 2 settings, high thats about 1300rpms, where its extremely noisy, you will hear it in another room easily, and the second setting is low, that idk why they name it low, as it only goes down to 900rpms, where its still very noticeable and loud, you need to able to undervolt it, idk how the asrock will work here, but if you cant you will need to get a fan controller or it will end up a noisy setup, you can also go with AP182 that should allow you lower rpms, but still you do need to undervolt it if you want to end up wiht a quieter setup. Imo the best motherboard to plan on TJ08-E is asus, as either the bios or fanxpert should be able to take the AP181 down to its lowest, now with Asrock, while it has a very good bios fan control on the CPU_FAN, idk how it will be on CHA/SYS fans headers, where in the past was presets that didnt allow full customization.

Another alternative is another case, i posted PS07 and KL06, that if you dont like the included fans its much easier to replace them with other 120mm fans, but i still believe the TJ08-E will perform better if you can control it.

Zen__

Post by Zen__ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:31 am

Hi,
after a long consideration (and a lot of reviews) I think none of above case is for me.

I'm considering to order a Nanoxia Deep Silence 4: it's bigger than Silverstone TJ08-E but it seems to be quieter. What do you think? Thanks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:04 am

Zen__ wrote:Hi,
after a long consideration (and a lot of reviews) I think none of above case is for me.

I'm considering to order a Nanoxia Deep Silence 4: it's bigger than Silverstone TJ08-E but it seems to be quieter. What do you think? Thanks.
What i don't like about Fractal Define Mini and Nanoxia Deep Silence 4, is that they are very big cases for compared to other micro atx cases, almost as big as atx cases, but if you think its the right one go for it, you are the only one that has to live with it, i don't have doubts you will be able to achieve a quiet setup with either case, you wont have a dedicated GPU, and the quad while does need cooling, it shouldn't be hard to cool in a quiet fashion with coolers like Kotetsu or Ninja4.