A couple of cool fanless cases from Streacom

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mikeb

A couple of cool fanless cases from Streacom

Post by mikeb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:39 am

Quite nice looking, personally I would love a DB2 for mATX with fans+airflow from bottom to top.

DB2 - http://www.fanlesstech.com/2016/06/excl ... m-db2.html

DB4 - http://www.streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/

edh

Re: A couple of cool fanless cases from Streacom

Post by edh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

The DB4 seems to have been vapourware for a couple of years since they first showed it. I'm guessing it took some time to make it work properly or get series production tooled up for something so unique.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I emailed Streacom in December about the DB4. I asked about an adapter to connect graphics cards to the side of the case. They told me "it's planned, no firm date, but hoping for March 2017". Obviously that time has come & gone long ago and no sign of the adapter.

The DB4 is kind of useless to most people without more adapters. What's the point of 4 aluminum cooling blocks if you can only connect a CPU to 1 of them?

The DB2 is the case I want. With or without a graphics card adapter (I am willing to fabricate my own, just like I did on the FC8).

The problem is the FC8 doesn't have much cooling capacity. Off the top of my head I'd guess about ~50 watts continuous. A DB2 should probably be able to double that or more since it has 2 aluminum blocks.

It's really disappointing that Streacom has a history of vapourware. I really wonder what the holdup is. Obviously they are demonstrating products at trade shows, they have the designs complete, all they need to do is start up the CNC machines and churn them out.

I understand these are low-run products with production costs, but that's why I paid $200 for the FC8 when it would be well under $100 if it were mass produced. I'm sure plenty of others are like myself: we treat building our PCs as a luxury hobby and will pay the premium. If the DB2 were available for $300 I'd buy it today without blinking.

akm

Post by akm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 am

You can get LH6-kit from streacom to connect cpu to 2 sides of the cases (65W -> 110W). GPU cooling is probably harder to design due to greater variance in GPUs. Case is quite small for GPUs and their recommended PSU is quite low woltage :|

I've been looking at DB4 for quite a while, will probably go with HDPlex PSU if I end building into this.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 am

Their website lists a 240w PS, which provides 168w (12v x 14a) on the 12v rail. This can easily do a ~90w graphics card and more if you use a low power CPU.

e.g. the gtx1050ti or the rx460 have a TDP of 75w. If you pair the rx470 (110w) with a 35w cpu you'll be fine.

For comparison, I have a 144w picopsu, and my setup (celeron + gtx750) draws ~80-90w constant from the wall (until my case heats up and throttling takes it down to ~70w).

As for attachments: The DB4 is already designed with sliding brackets to permit attachment anywhere on the side of the case. Even without the sliding brackets, the issue of variable locations was solved long ago by Streacom: they build around the most common general location, and then provide heatsink pipes that permit ~1/2" or ~1" of adjustment to fit specific hardware.

Most graphics cards have the GPU in the basically the same place; that's why it's possible to buy all sorts of aftermarket fans and passive coolers.

Even if a person connected a high-power CPU to 2 sides of their DB4 case, that still leaves 2 sides unused which is kind of a waste.

bobb

Post by bobb » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Think I saw a youtube with DB4+GPU but am not sure but ya, most builds forgo external GPU altogether no doubt due to the lack of heat pipe adapter as mentioned, but that shouldn't stop a dogged DIY'er however, just don't expect to be able to use a high-power GPU board in there.

grant2

Post by grant2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm

yes anything is possible for a DIY'er with enough time and desire. Even though I've done it with my current computer, I'd rather not spend weeks experimenting with random heat pipes and drilling into my $250 case to get the setup I want.

Sell me a $50 kit instead. You make money and I save time + enjoy a build where the fit & finish is professional.

akm

Post by akm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 pm

New kit to the DB4

https://www.techpowerup.com/240690/stre ... b4-chassis

Seems kind of interesting

grant2

Post by grant2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 pm

well well well, only about 10 months overdue.

I now have hope they'll release the DB2 before 2020 at this rate.