Dual Xeon Noise Levels!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

JV

Dual Xeon Noise Levels!

Post by JV » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm brand new here and was wondering if anyone can help me...

I just built a dual 2.4 Xeon machine to use as the powerhouse in my recording studio...I bought the NAtec Sonata anticipating noise levels...

But of course the dual xeon fans are as loud as can be....there is no way I can work on music with them running in the background. Anyone have any ideas before I go and build an wooden cabinet with sound insulation????

please help! Thanks for any tips! :D

JV

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:35 pm

The first question to ask is... what type of fans do you have running?

If you are going to run 120mm fans, you need to get a zalman fan mate or a 5 1/4 bay fan controller so you can undervolt them to the 5-7 volt area. You'll need to get quiet fans from Pabst, NMB, or Panaflo.

On the CPU, are you using the stock hsf? If so, you'll need to consider buying a replacement for each that allows you to put on a quiet Panaflo fan (80mm L1A).

Just need a little more info in order to help you out...

JV

Post by JV » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 pm

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for the feedback...

I am using the 120 mm fan that comes with the Antec Sontota Case...so you think I need a second bay fan? Wasn't aware that only the one was sufficient for the 12 volt required to run the dual board/CPUs...

Yes, I am using the stock CPU fans on the dual Xeon 2.4s. I am all for the idea of replacing them for that is where most the noise is coming from...my mobo is a Tyan Tiger and the CPU slots are side by side...would an aftermarket fan/heatsink still fit side by side?

Thanks so much!