Is the Silverstone GD09 a worthy upgrade of GD04?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

zeb

Is the Silverstone GD09 a worthy upgrade of GD04?

Post by zeb » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 am

Hi,

I have a GD04, which I really like. Due to space and configuration constraints (full-size 5.25" ODD, graphics card, 180 mm long ATX PSU, my furniture, etc.) there are not many cases that I can use. I just upgraded my machine to a quite powerful configuration (microATX Z190 motherboard + i7-6700K) and was able to cram everything into a GD04 case. However, I was wondering if it is worth to upgrade to the GD09, which is quite similar to GD04, but has several advantages:

- The case is slightly higher, and therefore gives more room for PCI-E connectors on graphics cards. I do not know if I want to do SLI in the future, but the GD09 would be ready, not the GD04. Furthermore, it allows a very different layout for the HDDs, which would not lay above the PSU, hence less exposure to the PSU heat.

- The fan filters are much easier to remove and clean. On the GD04, you have to remove the drives, then the fans, then unscrew the filters. For me it seems a great thing.

But my main question is: would the GD09 provide a better cooling than the GD04, due to the larger size and new layout? Are there users here who have experienced this upgrade? Thanks a lot in advance.

edh

Re: Is the Silverstone GD09 a worthy upgrade of GD04?

Post by edh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:39 am

I wouldn't consider a case upgrade for the sake of it. The reasons you have given don't seem to be strong enough arguments. Just to future proof for SLI make little sense as if ever you were to buy a second graphics card you would get better value just buying one newer, faster, more efficient graphics card.

zeb

Re: Is the Silverstone GD09 a worthy upgrade of GD04?

Post by zeb » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi, thanks for your view.
I see what you mean about SLI, the time I save money for a second card, I can purchase a new model and recoup a bit by selling the older graphics card anyway.