RAIJINTEK STYX small micro ATX case - airflow schemes

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

VERiON

RAIJINTEK STYX small micro ATX case - airflow schemes

Post by VERiON » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:20 am

I'm planning to switch my current case for the smaller one - and of course to make it as quiet as possible :D

-----

I've chosen RAIJINTEK STYX mATX case
(BIT-TECH review here https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases ... x-review/1)

The other cases I was eyeing:
FRACTAL DEFINE MINI C - about 5cm/2" bigger (depth and height)
Thermaltake Core V21 - about twice the size of Raijintek STYX
Fractal Design Node 804 - about 50% bigger than Raijintek STYX
Corsair AIR 240 - about 50% bigger than Raijintek STYX
------

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z97M-D3H (microATX)
CPU: i5-4690K with Thermalright MACHO 120mm (rev A.)
RAM: 4x 8GB
VIDEO: ZOTAC GTX 750 passive

2x 256GB SSD
1x 3,5" in Scythe Quiet Drive enclosure

------

USAGE SCENARIO:
I'm a graphics designer and my workflow and type of work means that:

- most of the time: pretty light use of CPU @25% with short spikes @50-100% on all 4 cores
- occasionally CPU @100% on all 4 cores - when encoding a movie or something like this (and I don't mind increased fan noise in that rare cases)
- most of the time GPU is ideling with occasional activity spikes with Photoshop functions that supports GPU acceleration (very rarely, PS is all about CPU)

- I'm occasionally taking the computer to other locations (in a car) - that's why I want it to be fairly compact

- no gaming

- it's a hackintosh (macOS on a pc computer)
- I can control the speed of up to 3 fans (via software) and relate the speed of each fan to the CPU or SYSTEM or GPU temp

- it's running 24/7 because it syncs my work folder to Dropbox (and it takes a while with huge files)
- filtered intake would be a plus (because of 24/7) but I can live without it or with negative pressure scenario

------

POWER CONSUMPTION:
currently system (with 120W pico PSU) is using:
when idle: 35W in total
with CPU in stress (GPU in idle): 100W

Measured with kill-a-wat.

------

POSSIBLE Q&A

Why not SWITCH to the mini ITX form factor?
----------------------------
I don't want to (I can't) switch to mini ITX because I desperately need 4 memory slots - and mini ITX has only 2.
Plus I'm not planning to change any components because I have 3 IDENTICAL systems that makes software maintenance much easier (the same system image for all 3 workstations)

WHY NOT STICK WITH PICO PSU?
-------------------------------
I don't like external PSU brick - it's a hassle when I have to move the case.
And it has it's limitations - I can't max out CPU & GPU with 120W pico PSU as the max power consumption will be around 160W. Currently it's not a problem but it can be in a future.

CAN YOU REVERSE fan direction on PSU?
-----------------------------------
Yes, I can - warranty is over

CAN YOU DITCH discrete graphic card?
-----------------------------------
Yes, but I don't want to - currently there is no real difference in ADOBE CC suite, but they are adding more and more GPU accelerated functions with each release, and this video card has Display Port that (allegedly) supports 60Hz on hi-res display that I'm planning to buy.

Airflow path schemes
==========================

It's not visible, but there is a opening on the top of the case
- it's for 2x 120mm fans
- covered by mesh (speakers like metal mesh)
- equipped with dust filter

is the "default" setup - without the fans in top opening
but I would remove [3] or [4]
1.jpg
pluses
- only 2 fans needed

minuses
- not sure if fanless video card [8] would get any airflow

seems the most logical for me - but you have to add fans in position [5] and [6] to keep positive pressure and prevent dust build up (not that important to me, but nice to have) and the [7] opening should be closed to prevent intake air from escaping (and the [7] arrow should point in opposite direction)
2.jpg
pluses
- positive pressure
- filtered intake

minuses
- you have to add 2x 120mm fans (4 in total)

with the duct isolating PSU -> CPU airflow, and hoping that PASSIVE video card will be adequately cooled by convection only
3.jpg
pluses
- only 2 fans
- additional opening in the case bottom will be used to suck more air when CPU fan ramps up

minuses
- not sure if GPU will be adequately cooled by convection only

with the additional fan in [5]
4.jpg
pluses
- [5] fan can be started only if GPU temp ramps up
- can prevent hot air from rising using a duct like in #3

minuses
- additional fan (3 in total)

CONCLUSION

I would scratch #2 because of number of fans

I'm not sure about #1 - maybe with other large openings sealed [7] and [2] GPU will get enough airflow
It's a negative pressure case without filtered intakes - but I don't mind.

I'm leaning towards #3 or #4 - maybe even with PSU and CPU case exhaust grills cutted off for less restricted airflow

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VERiON on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: small micro ATX case - airflow schemes (advise what's be

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 am

Some questions:
  1. Do (or will) you overclock?
  2. Which is the PSU?
  3. If there isn't a PSU of choice yet, which is the relevant budget?
  4. If there isn't a PSU of choice yet, would you consider a fanless PSU?
  5. What about strapping a fan onto the VGA?
  6. What about swapping the VGA heatsink with a more performing one?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:45 am

Many of those schemes are counter to what the "natural" flow would be - i.e. warmer air rises, so if you can work with this (rather than try and fight it), then you will be better off. Air should come in the bottom and exist higher up. That means you needs to consider the air flow through the PSU as separate from the air flow through the case.

By complimenting what the air "wants" to do, you will have a cooler and/or quieter system.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:48 am

Do (or will) you overclock?
No - I can overclock to 4.3Ghz and it doesn't really make a difference form stock 3.9Ghz, so it's not worth additional heat from overvolting

Which is the PSU?
I have almost new NEXUS 4090 - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article204-page1.html
rated at 400W that is twice as much as I need and has a great silent 120mm fan
It is working great with this MOBO and CPU

If there isn't a PSU of choice yet, which is the relevant budget?
I don't really have any budget constrains. Of course if I don't like to buy overpriced products - like anybody else.
If I would buy a new PSU it would be for sure a modular one (with detachable cables). And maybe an SFX format - if there are any with 120mm fan. But I don't see the point if I can use NEXUS.

If there isn't a PSU of choice yet, would you consider a fanless PSU?
I have a spare fanless PSU - with huge heatsink, but it gets too hot for my taste.
... and I can't use it with this case because heatsink will be sticking out from the bottom

What about strapping a fan onto the VGA?
I would rather buy a new card with fan - because the fanless one that I have was pretty costly, and I can reuse it in other computer. I can buy ASUS 750ti StriX series that has a fan disabled when ideling

What about swapping the VGA heatsink with a more performing one?
I can buy a cheap no-name GTX 750 and swap the heat sink - but it will be more-or-less the same solution as the fanless card that I have now - right? http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/ ... image2.jpg

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 am

@NeilBlanchard

I can reverse fan in PSU and use it as an relatively cold air intake.
My rationale was to duct this cold air to CPU and exit hot air at the back of the case [4]

It can be even done with just one fan on CPU heatsink with a tight enough duct and sealed [2] intake - because PSU doesn't need that much airflow.

---

BIT-TECH tested 2 configurations

case #A - PSU as exhaust / CPU as exhaust
case #B. - PSU as exhaust / CPU as intake

#A cpu temp was +6'C higher than #B
but with #B GPU temp went up +8'C

#A hotter CPU / cooler GPU
#B cooler CPU / hotter GPU

see here:
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases ... x-review/3

phobus

Post by phobus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Very interested to see what you come up with. I've been planning out a new build for a while, and just yesterday I decided that my current case won't cut it. This case is at the top of my list, but I was wondering the same thing about airflow.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:49 pm

VERiON wrote:Which is the PSU?
I have almost new NEXUS 4090 - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article204-page1.html
rated at 400W that is twice as much as I need and has a great silent 120mm fan
It is working great with this MOBO and CPU

Indeed it's a quiet unit: OTOH I would take into account also
  1. its age (approaching 13 years, albeit "almost new"), as it may affect its longevity/reliability;
  2. its build quality (low), which may affect its longevity/reliability;
  3. its topology (it's derived from 5V-oriented PSUs, and it's not compatible with Intel C6/C7 power states, albeit that's a minor annoyance): TBH, performances set aside, without high power videocards, likely it doesn't matter that much;
  4. the low performances (for contemporary standards).

In case, just to be overzealous, do you plan to use near in the future the same setup for each of the three workstation you have, or will you just re-build this one?

VERiON wrote:What about strapping a fan onto the VGA?
I would rather buy a new card with fan - because the fanless one that I have was pretty costly, and I can reuse it in other computer. I can buy ASUS 750ti StriX series that has a fan disabled when ideling

If one of your major concerns (deciding the airflow scheme) is the VGA proper cooling, a slow (~500rpm) 12cm fan zip-tied on the heatsink would solve much of the hassle, regardless of the case airflow scheme, with a modest investment.
OTOH, do what you think best.

VERiON wrote:What about swapping the VGA heatsink with a more performing one?
I can buy a cheap no-name GTX 750 and swap the heat sink - but it will be more-or-less the same solution as the fanless card that I have now - right? http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/ ... image2.jpg

There's the same reason of the above point: if one of your major concerns (deciding the airflow scheme) is the VGA proper cooling (BUT you don't want a large fan directly strapped onto your card), a larger heatsink (for instance a ~23cm heatsink with 4 heatpipes like the S3, with an high performance thermal paste, instead of the stock ~15cm heatsink with 2 heatpipes) would solve much of the hassle, regardless of the case airflow scheme, with substantially less money than a new card.
OTOH, do what you think best.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 am

@quest_for_silence

Thank you for your advices. It will be only this machine.

I think I won't be touching graphics card - most of the time it sits idle (@6W power consumption). So it's not worth any investment and existing fanless solution should work ok with minimal case airflow.

As for the PSU - maybe it's time for a new one. Maybe I shouldn't risk mobo and/or cpu if the PSU decides to give up the ghost. I can always put that nexus in less pricey machine - or just salvage its fan. Can you recommend a quiet PSU that doesn't cost too much? Preferably a modular one.

----

With the new PSU I won't have any other option than use it as an EXHAUST.

It brings me to the scenario #5
5.jpg
[8] is a fanless vga card in my case

- ditch the CPU heatsink fan [3] and use only case fan [4] for the CPU cooling (maybe with duct/shroud)
- PSU as an exhaust
- seal all of the big openings - at the back and at the bottom of the case
- hope that exhaust fans will give me enough negative pressure to suck the air through top filtered opening 240x120mm
- if the intake will be (forced by the negative pressure) at the top of the case it will give me enough airflow to cool GPU and HDD that will be placed near that opening.

I'm aware that with negative pressure cool air (and dust) will enter the case thought the tiniest cracks/holes/crevices - but I'm sure that SOME of that air will enter through that big opening at the top - even when restricted with filter. Right?

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 am

VERiON wrote:Can you recommend a quiet PSU that doesn't cost too much? Preferably a modular one.

IMHO there are several ones suitable for your intended use.
  1. The smallest one is probably the Silverstone SST-ST30SF V1.0 300W: it's an SFX FSP-made server grade unit (according to Silverstone marketing), rated 50°C, with a semi passive fan controller which run fanless up to around 130W. It's very efficient at low loads, quality wise it's just good enough, and it's relatively unexpensive (around 50 euros all over EU). Unfortunately it's not modular.

Then there are some 400-450W ones.
  1. The quietest is likely the Be Quiet! Straight Power E10 400W: quality wise it's a mid-end contender, but the fan is really good (170rpm up to >200W...) and it's rather efficient (gold rated). Unfortunately, it isn't modular. Price is usually 65-75 euros, depending of the country. If you want the modular version, you should pick the larger E10 500W CM, price is usually 90-100 euros, depending of the country.
  2. A less quiet but still quiet unit is the Cooler Master G450M: quality wise it's a lesser unit than Be Quiet, just good enough, it's less efficient (bronze rated) but the relevant fan controller does the job right (<600rpm) and the long warranty (5 years) compensate the build quality. It's modular and price wise it's around 50 euros across EU.
  3. A very good PSU is the Bitfenix Whisper M 450W: it's an high end unit, quality wise, it's gold rated (so rather efficient), modular and moderately priced (usually 70-80 euros across EU). The fan run around 400rpm up to about 250W, and a tad above up to full power.
  4. Then there's the Super Flower Golden Silent 430: it's a modular, fanless unit, priced above 110 euros usually. Quality and performance wise is top notch, and rather efficient (gold rated).
  5. Another two fanless units are the Seasonic SS-400FL2 and SS-460FL2: they're really high end unit, with high performances, high build quality and the highest efficiency across the power range (platinum rated). Unfortunately they're also very expensive, usually above 110/130 euros.

Eventually there are several 500-550W units.
  1. The quoted Be Quiet! Straight Power E10 500 CM, 90-100 euros.
  2. The Cooler Master G550M (bigger brother of the 450W, often more readily available), 60-70 euros likely.
  3. The Bitfenix Whisper M 550W (bigger brother of the 450W, virtually identical, slightly more expensive, around 90)
  4. The Super Flower Golden Silent 500: it's modular, and of higher efficiency of the 430W sibling (it's platinum rated); it's a really high end unit, priced accordingly (over 130 euros, usually).
  5. The Seasonic SS-520FL2 is the larger brother of the quoted 400/460, priced above 140 euros, usually.
  6. The Silverstone NighJar 520 is a rebadged Seasonic SS-520FL2, as well as the XFX XTS 520: priced accordingly.
  7. The EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W, is a modified Seasonic G550 with a semi passive controller (up to about 200W); quality wise isn't on top, but well above average, as well as the relevant performances. Modular, it's priced very differently across EU countries, from 85 to 130 euros.
  8. The Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 550W: it's the flaghsip of Be Quiet!, modular, very efficient (platinum rated), very good performance, very well built, extremely quiet... a reviewer called it the ultimate 550W, like a Rolls or a Bentley for the cars. Even for the price (usually above 140-150 euros). It's also very versatile: it can control the case fans speed according to the PSU internal temp.
  9. Corsair RM550x: modular, efficient (gold rated), high performance unit; it's semi-fanless, it run fanless up to a smidge less than 300W under any condition, and at most around 800rpm above that mark; it's usually competitively priced (around 95-100, something less, something more, depending of the country), quality wise it's really good.
  10. Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550W: modular, efficient (the highest, platinum grade), semi fanless, it's among the best units you can pick of this capacity. Priced above 120 euros.
  11. Enermax Platimax 500W (not the new D.F. model, vastly inferior): it's EOL now, it's one of the SPCR references, you can read the relevant review. Modular, high quality parts, but less modern/good than the later ones as it's a bit old as design, a bit less efficient than newer platinum rated units but extremely quiet (330rpm up 3-400W), and a bit overpriced (usually above 110 euros).
  12. Enermax Digifanless: probably the most expensive 550W on earth, and by far. Digital, modular, fanless.

Well, I'm sure I forgot some really good PSU, but nonetheless I guess you have more than an option.

VERiON wrote:- ditch the CPU heatsink fan [3] and use only case fan [4] for the CPU cooling (maybe with duct/shroud)
- PSU as an exhaust
- seal all of the big openings - at the back and at the bottom of the case
- hope that exhaust fans will give me enough negative pressure to suck the air through top filtered opening 240x120mm
- if the intake will be (forced by the negative pressure) at the top of the case it will give me enough airflow to cool GPU and HDD that will be placed near that opening.

I'm aware that with negative pressure cool air (and dust) will enter the case thought the tiniest cracks/holes/crevices - but I'm sure that SOME of that air will enter through that big opening at the top - even when restricted with filter. Right?

What do you think?

I may be wrong, but ATM I don't think you can draw much fresh air from top, too far from the exhaust fan, albeit sealing all the big openings might work to some degree.

First of all, the rear exhaust will work less good than a push fan on the heatsink (and in case the duct/shroud is mostly useless, IME), so you likely should end up with an hotter CPU (probably nothing to worry about, if the BIOS won't speed up the fans).
Then, depending of the PSU (it depends because with passive or semi-passive PSUs it could likely work as an intake) the PSU fan and rear exhaust one would strive to gasp the same air, not a good condition, and that should decrease the sucking effect (the negative pressure) to some (unknown) degree.
Doing so the VGA won't likely get any sizable flow from downwards, and maybe a questionable one from upwards (I'm expecting it acts as a blocking barrier to that expected sucking effect).

But in the end, you've just to try, that's my advice.

Personally I'd rather using some more fan, slowly spinning.
Probably I'd give a try to a bottom active intake which feeds both PSU and CPU fans. The CPU area heat would be then exhausted by the rear fan. I'd try a stack effect using a not populated top, at first glance, albeit I might end up populating it with some fans.
Last but not least, given the Styx has a dedicated fan mounting rails on the side, I'd use a single 120mm fan, sucking the air coming from the bottom fan/zone and blowing it onto the card.

That's probably what I'd try at first, but I'm far from being certain about dealing with a somehow odd case like the Styx, so pick my reasoning as a not educated guesswork.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 am

I would have the intake at the bottom and have the top and lower rear as the exhaust. Let the PSU do its own thing, or possibly separate it from the case in its own compartment.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am

I have been thinking of that case for a light gaming rig (MSI GTX 1050/1060 Gaming).
Would probably do something like your #4 but with fans in both 5 and 6 (slow spinning and idle then not gaming).
Fanless PSU. Don't think duct is necessary -VGA card will act as one and air tend to take the shortest path.

In your case I think #4 would work fine, maybe you should block 6.
Use your current PSU with fan reversed or go for the fanless Super Flower Golden Silent 430 that Luca recommend.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Well, I'm sure I forgot some really good PSU, but nonetheless I guess you have more than an option.
Whoa! You've outdone yourself! What a list - thanks!

I've read some reviews of the first one - Silverstone SST-ST30SF V1.0 300W - looks like a good candidate. Especially for my average power consumption below 40W. And since it sits at the bottom of the case - it should stay cool and fanless, especially with CPU cooler as an exhaust.

Did you know that there is v2.0? - with the 92mm fan
http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/pr ... ft-top.jpg

Or is 1.0 version somehow better than 2.0?

_____

EDIT: I've found some additional info here http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=458

V1.0 is rated @50'C and it's semi-fanless (fanless until PSU reaches 55'C)
has greater +3.3V and +5V output and higher temperature rating of 10℃ ~ 50℃, dedicated for NAS/storage focused systems or industrial PCs (IPC).

V2.0 is rated @40'C (it's not fanless, fan spins all the time)
has greater +12V output and lower noise (as they say), dedicated for home desktops or gaming PCs.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 pm

VERiON wrote:Or is 1.0 version somehow better than 2.0?

As you found, the 1.0 is a totally different product, and not replaceable with a 2.0 (at least, if quietness is paramount and the expected power draw is within its limits).

VERiON

Re: RAIJINTEK STYX small micro ATX case - airflow schemes

Post by VERiON » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Thank you all for your input - especially Luca!

---

This discussion really made me questioning my case choice.
With the fans at the top it would be a really cool (pun intended) light gaming case - but since I'm planning to use up to 2 fans - I've started thinking that maybe I should use even smaller case that I have laying around.

So I've renamed this thread to RAIJINTEK STYX and started a new one - for that new case here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69589