Looking for mITX case w high power graphics

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rudolffischer

Looking for mITX case w high power graphics

Post by rudolffischer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 am

Hi all
I am looking into building a streaming PC that runs HQPlayer in DSD512 upsampling mode. This mode needs substantial processing power from an i7 class CPU and a Pascal class Nvidia GPU. Hence I would like to build a system along the following lines:
- MSI B250I PRO
- i7 7700K
- MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6G (this card is 138mm high)
- ATX PSU of around 500W
My preferred case would have been a Silverstone GD5, but none of the Grandia Series can fit a GPU this high.
So I am looking at an mITX case that is high enough to accommodate the MSI card. So far I have come up with the following choices:
- Fractal Core 500
- Silverstone Sugo SG08
- Corsair Obsidian 250D
I am planning to use air cooling, so provisions for water cooling are not needed. My main concern is running this system as silently as possible, as it sits in my audio listening room.
Have I missed an obvious choice? Is one of these three clearly preferable to the others?
Thanks a lot for any comments.

vishcompany

Re: Looking for mITX case w high power graphics

Post by vishcompany » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 am

Welcome to SPCR.

If you step down from ATX PSU as a requirement to SFX PSU, you will broaden your possibilities:
Fractal Design Node 304 and Node 202 come to mind, as well as the Raven RZ01.

Also check out the DAN A4. See here and here.
Dan will start a second run for a v2 of this case soon. It is my current gaming rig housing a 6700K and an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and with a few tweaks it turned out amazingly well. You can find my writeup here and a google spreadsheet with lots of data here.

edh

Post by edh » Tue May 02, 2017 3:33 am

I've had good results with a Raijintek Metis but it will need modification. Putting air vents in the top panel would allow it to work very well with that level of graphics card.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 02, 2017 3:43 am

edh wrote:I've had good results with a Raijintek Metis but it will need modification. Putting air vents in the top panel would allow it to work very well with that level of graphics card.

IIRC now there should also be the Metis Plus: check it out.

raoul78

Post by raoul78 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 am

I've recently built a system in a Silverstone RVZ01 http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverStone_Raven_RVZ01 and am quite happy with the sound profile (running an Asus 1070) -it only takes an SFX PSU though. I've also got a Node 304 that runs silently to my ears (but no GPU). If you step down to a 1050Ti or undervolt the 1060, you could also consider a completely passive case (HDPLEX H5).