Tiny quiet case. Impossible?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mnm1200

Tiny quiet case. Impossible?

Post by mnm1200 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 pm

I've been struggling for a couple months now on a build I've been trying to do. My goals are for it to be as small as possible - I'm looking for easily portable (a handle would be great). I also need space for an ODD, SSD or M.2, and a 3.5" HDD. The build would be a mini-itx motherboard, a ryzen 1700x, and one of the new vega GPUs. I'm thinking the GPU would have to be compartmentalized like I've seen on some cases. And then of course, as quiet as possible. Barring mini-itx, a thin atx that I can shove two GPUs in (one low power efficient and one beefier for GPU passthrough). Any thoughts or hints?

I haven't been able to find anything that fits this criteria. My last build was an akasa euler with a T series i3 and an SSD. No moving parts is a beautiful thing.

Olle P

Re: Tiny quiet case. Impossible?

Post by Olle P » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 pm

I think the "Vega graphics" makes it impossible to give a good answer yet.
We know neither the size nor the power consumption of those cards.

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Dropping down to a Ryzen 1700 to reduce the wattage would allow for quieter operation. Multi-threaded performance would still be good.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:22 am

Now that technical data on Vega are out we can see that it needs a lot of power and cooling.
So you can opt for either small and portable, using water cooling with a Delta "screamer" or two, or big and relatively quiet.

If you don't need to haul it around all the time you can also have a smaller radiator in/on the case and a big one separate to connect when the computer is to be used stationary.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:17 am

The new VEGA gpus (specs released yesterday) seems very high TDP, while i would still wait for the reviews to see how it really are noise and temp wise, my expectations are very low, even the R56 with 210, that's more than the 1080 for less performance, and even my MSI GTX1080 is hard to cool somewhat, this alone will make it hard to keep quiet, specially on a small case, but wait for the reviews and see how they are performing and how they are noise wise.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Let's also see what the later "Nano" version has to offer for a small case scenario.
Less heat and less performance compared to its bigger siblings?

mnm1200

Post by mnm1200 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Well... I guess I"m going to sit tight with a 1060 for now.

I'm thinking about the Sugo SG12. Checks off pretty much all the boxes. Small, micro ATX, handle, ODD, 3.5" drive. Hopefully it can be quiet as well. It's not as open as other PCs I've looked at.