Micro ATX Case Comparison

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Derek Semeraro

Micro ATX Case Comparison

Post by Derek Semeraro » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

For silent builds, Micro ATX is appealing. With many builders forgoing optical drives and multiple-HDD setups, builds can be more compact. At the same time, Mini ITX (especially in setups which use over 250w of power) may risk reduced air circulation, higher temperatures, and more noise as a result.

Corsair Carbide 240 Air
This case is absolutely beautiful with its cake-layer design, room for air flow and ventilation all around. The best of all worlds. Criticisms include its rather bulky size, cheap side panels and it is pricy at $80-90.

Thermaltake V21
The rearrangable panels and ample room to breathe with nearly ubiquitous holes are plusses. $50 price is great. The downside is that it is wide for a cube build and rather bulky for a MATX case in general.

Raijintek Styx
One of the smallest form factors available for MATX and a solid aluminum build. The downside is the unappealing little window panel, lack of reviews and it not having as much airflow as other cases. $70 price is fair.

Inwin 301
This has one of the smallest footprints of any MATX, good build quality, well designed interior and a big beautiful glass panel window. Lack of ventilation, however, is an often noted problem, so this may not be the best cases for silence. $75 price is reasonable, but it doesn't come with fans.

Fractal Design Define Mini C
This seems like the most well-rounded of the bunch. It has a lot of ventilation but is also mostly encased and treated with sound dampening material. It's not the smallest, but it's very compact. Not the most striking, but it looks classy and elegant. For it's $80-90, it seems to deliver in every regard.

Fractal Design Node 804
Minimalist cube, aesthetically appealing, ventilation all around, windowed panel and an open interior are many upsides. The downside is the expensive $110 price and reviews state that it's a bit larger in real life than it appears.

BrianF

Re: Micro ATX Case Comparison

Post by BrianF » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 am

I was actually going to start a thread asking about the AIR 240 but decided to carry on the conversation here.

I absolutely love the cuboid shape. I think by finally doing away with external bays it really starts to make sense. I actually think the alternate orientation of the AIR 240, with the window facing up, would be really cool.

I worry about this one though in that it appears to be all holes. :) Primary air change would be pair of 120mm at the front (positive case pressure). Even with extra quiet fans, placing them at the front like seems like a worst case scenario for silence (the only alternative, 80mm at the rear, would be much much worse of course).

And I think we'd need to block the vents at top and bottom (or sides depending on how you orient it), otherwise air is never going to pass front-to-back properly. That and all those openings are ways for sound to get out. Probably need to be blocked AND damped.

Thoughts?

andreszm08

Post by andreszm08 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 am

Hello all,

I am very interested in this topic. I want to build an mATX PC as most silent as possible, but i think ATX cases are too big.
How well is Fractal Design Define Mini C in terms of noise? I can't find any review which talks specifically about the noise of this case.

Best regards,

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 am

andreszm08 wrote:Hello all,

I am very interested in this topic. I want to build an mATX PC as most silent as possible, but i think ATX cases are too big.
How well is Fractal Design Define Mini C in terms of noise? I can't find any review which talks specifically about the noise of this case.

Best regards,
I use the Mini C. The sound dampening material does help a little bit and the noise within the build is contained when the top panel stays on. The power supply shroud does reflect noise from the power supply, which is a downside. Overall, I still think a case is only as silent as the parts within it, but I expect Mini C would be slightly better than average in general in terms of noise.