Fractal Node 304 GPU grill issue and other questions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

yujikimura

Fractal Node 304 GPU grill issue and other questions

Post by yujikimura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I've got an issue with my Node 304 and I wanted to know if anybody has experienced it and how they fixed it.

Basically the GPU grill on the left side vibrates and I have to touch it so that it stops. Anyone has a solution that allows it to be fixed properly to the case, but not completely permanent in case I want to remove it or change it for something else.

I also have some other questions if anyone has experience with the Node 304:

- How do you do elastic suspension for the hard drives for it? Can someone post pics if they've done it?
- Are there better/quieter fans for it that I can replace? Both for the 92mm front fans and the 140mm rear fan.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Fractal Node 304 GPU grill issue and other questions

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am

Where is the vibration coming from? Is it the hard drive(s), or is it a cavity resonance?

yujikimura

Post by yujikimura » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Where is the vibration coming from? Is it the hard drive(s), or is it a cavity resonance?
Hi Neil,

I'm not sure. It seems to be coming from the case's wall and rattling the air intake filter/grill for the GPU. I'm considering using something like sugru to hold it in place. Since these grills are just snapped into place with plastic tabs.
Can this case suffer from cavity resonance if the back fan acts as an outlet and inside pressure fluctuations amplitude are probably 2 orders of magnitude smaller than the absolute values?
I don't believe the hard drives are affecting it. My questions regarding elastic mounting are just to further reduce noise/vibrations from them. Since I'm running 2 WD Red in the system and it stays on 24/7 in my living room I want to mitigate noise as much as possible.
I'm also considering setting the pc on top of larger rubber pads to reduce dust intake from the bottom and maybe dampen case vibration.
Noise from the system is already pretty minimal, it's just that I'm kind of obsessive about it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:23 pm

If you believe the air intake filter assembly is loose, you could try something simple and reversible - use paper as a shim between the filter assembly and case. Just double up the paper as needed to tighten the fit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm

yujikimura wrote:- How do you do elastic suspension for the hard drives for it? Can someone post pics if they've done it?
I haven't seen that many, but there is one that i remember, Fractal Design Node 304 HDD suspension.
yujikimura wrote:- Are there better/quieter fans for it that I can replace? Both for the 92mm front fans and the 140mm rear fan.
140mm i would suggest BeQuiet SilentWing3 BL067.

92mm is not a very common fan, i don't have a personal favorite, i would suggest to check
be quiet! Pure Wings 2 92mm PWM
Noctua NF-A9 PWM
Noctua NF-B9 Redux-1600 PWM