Larger vs. smaller cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BrianF

Larger vs. smaller cases

Post by BrianF » Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 am

I have a gargantuan Antec P280 with next to nothing in it (mobo, gpu, and two drives). For years I've been saying my next build will be a smaller mATX based one, but now that I'm actually looking at some builds, they seem awfully "cramped": The GPU is closer to the CPU on mATX boards, an M.2 between them is even more boxed in, and (usually) not much breathing room on the other side of the gpu.

Does this cramping of components tend to make things hotter and more challenging to keep quiet? I'm wondering if I should stick with ATX, albeit something more sensible than this monster P280 (suggestions welcome).

Abula

Re: Larger vs. smaller cases

Post by Abula » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 am

Hard to say for sure as all setups are different, take define mini is a micro ATX case but almost as big as r5, what you gain is the smaller mobo by 3pci slots, while there are more compact like the tj08e that are more cramped, specially if you use more than one 3.5 HDD.

About micro ATX being hotter, it depends, if airflow can't reach efficiently to the components or air can't get in or out easily, then yes it will be hotter, but like the tj08e runs very close to an ATX case, as long as you don't fill the secondary HDD cage.

I used micro ATX for 3 years, and have no regrets on that time, but it's a little limiting, specially I have had bad luck with Realtek soundcards making noise, forcing me to use a dedicated soundcard, thus micro ATX was more hindering for me.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am

BrianF wrote:I'm wondering if I should stick with ATX, albeit something more sensible than this monster P280 (suggestions welcome).
Buy whatever you want, what i mean is you can do it quiet on micro atx and atx, just a matter of preference, as long as your needs don't require lots of pci add on cards you will be fine on micro atx. Now personally i prefer atx, i dont have gain for saving extra space on my desk, but if you do benefit from a smaller setup, then go for it. I would suggest to try to go as minimum on 3.5hdd as you can and if can avoid them and go full ssd would be better, but its not something that all can.

Now you 280 is still a very good case overall, probably on the bigger side but still is very good case, there are very nice cases now a days like Fractal Design Define C for a smaller atx build or if you have more hdds like the Fractal Design Define R6, imo you wont gain that much, just a better looking, easier to work, more in line for todays hardware, and in the case of the Define C it would be smaller as its not as deep.

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 am

Thank you for you thoughts.

I actually very much like the NZXT S340. It is ATX but very sensibly sized, only slightly larger than most mATX cases. It has only one important flaw for me: the exhaust grills are quite restrictive (which is odd because all their other cases use the familiar and efficient hex pattern).