dipology HD silencers

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bonobo

dipology HD silencers

Post by bonobo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:22 pm

Anyone heard of this company or had any experience with their HD enclosures? I was looking for a smart drive enclosure when I found them.. at a glance, they seem to be a slightly cheaper version of the silentdrive enclosures, with a similar finish and construction, but I didn't really have time to have a good look. They kind of look the same, but with the company name embossed on the top.

I work in Japan btw, so they not have reached the U.S. or Europe yet, or may have been rebranded for sale there...

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:27 am

I think you are in a better situation to server us with more information than we are to serve you with more information :)

As you said, most stuff hits Japan first and rest of the world much later if ever.

It's probable that nobody outside Japan even knew about those silencers, until you wrote about them here :)

So if you could just purchace one dipology silencer test it and report back here :)

cheers,
halcyon

sockeye
Friend of SPCR

Post by sockeye » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:58 am

It's actually spelled "dipolgy" (one 'o") and if you google it you will find quite a bit of info on the technology, including these applications:

http://www.moon.sannet.ne.jp/f-wataru/seion8_6.htm
http://www.moon.sannet.ne.jp/f-wataru/seion8.htm

The copper model in the second link loos especially interesting...

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:20 am

sockeye wrote:The copper model in the second link loos especially interesting...
Doesn't it? :twisted:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =23&page=1

I think that the dipology is nothing more then some product the guy used to wrap the smart drive in.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:42 am

Bonobo,

Where did you find the dipology? There are at least 7 other Hd enclosure brands/products in the AKI shops that I think may do the job better, for less price than the nice expensive black SD2002s. (I have not had the opprtunity to do any comparisons other than reading the labels and looking at the packages.)

Where are you located at? I am in Machida outside of Tokyo.

On the other note, has anyone actually seen in person the copper model of the origianl SD? (as in the pictures)

I have not been able to find this thing anywhere. I have been looking for them as I do not want to drop the cash for three of the SD2002.

bonobo

Post by bonobo » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:23 pm

I'm working right down in the south of Kyushu in an crappy little city you've never heard of. It's very VERY difficult for me to get hold of any good gear here. There's one shop in town who had no idea what Artic Silver was :? , and a couple of PC World type out-of-town places. I found the enclosure in a shop (which I think is a chain store) called "PC mate". I was actually looking for the aforementioned thermal grease, but stumbled across a few silentdrive cases and this "dipolgy" enclosure. I didn't have much cash and my girlfriend was getting angry waiting in the car, so i couldn't examine it in any great detail.

It seemed to be a fairly lightweight enclosure (it didn't seem to have the weight of copper!) packed with some kind of foam lining the inside, and perhaps a thin layer of insulation on the outside. It was only 4000 yen though (about 20 english pounds).

I'll try and get back there this weekend if I have time and give it a whirl. I'm right in the middle of moving (to Fukuoka) at the moment so I'll have a look round there too to see if there's any other alternatives (that copper SD sure did look nice... :D )

bonobo

Post by bonobo » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:54 pm

Td_nw.. have you tried asking in User's Side, I think I remember seeing a few of them around the last time I went to Tokyo. I know there's one in Fukuoka, I'm probably their most frequent Gaijin visitor!

http://www.users-side.co.jp/shopping/li ... show=smart

Maybe they can order one for you if they don't keep them in stock? They have the SmartDrive 2002 'Copper' on the website, which seems to be a slightly more expensive version of the Smartdrive 2002 with copper inserts rather than aluminium.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:00 pm

Td_nw wrote:...has anyone actually seen in person the copper model of the origianl SD? (as in the pictures)...
Yes I've not only seen them but used quite a few in custom builds. I still have a couple of them in the workshop too. They are extremely heavy items.

Also, the all copper version of the Smart Drive enclosures both silences and cools better than the other Smart Drive versions do - in contrast with the cooling info given in the link above.

8)

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:33 pm

Bundy,

Thanks. OK... Copper it is, if I can only find one.

Bonobo,

Near Machida outside of Tokyo on the Odakyu line there are some shops but mostly mainstream stuff. I have been dragging my girlfriends into stores in Tokyo for translation as my Japanese is poor. No one has even heard of the copper SD, if they have even heard of the normal SD 2002. My quest continues.....