Minor finishing touch mod for the Antec Sonata side Panel :)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CoolColJ

Minor finishing touch mod for the Antec Sonata side Panel :)

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:59 pm

The side panel on the Sonata is a touch rattley and loose.

Well I had some left over silicon material that surrounds the silicon washers I bought.
So I cut some 4 small strips and put some glue on the back of each. Pasted one strip each on the crossbar (just before the handle), another on the metal frame directly above the crossbar, and another strip likewise on the metal frame just behind the side panel at the bottom directly inline with the strip on the cross member.
The last strip on the metal frame behind the door on the back panel area in line with the handle.

I put the side panel back in and behold its nicely damped and snug to fit now!

The final touch was putting a silicon washer under each thumbscrew, and screwing them into place. I can screw em in tight without fear of scratching the paint job. And off course whatever damping I get helps :)

I think it sounds quieter :wink:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:50 am

The side panels of the 3700BQE that I'm working on are very rattley too. There's slots provided in the body for those little spring steel dampeners but there's none in there so the doors just rattle loosely. Maybe my case skipped that step on the assembly line, or maybe Antec just cheaped out a little. Looks like I'll be doing some shimming too.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:04 am

I don't want to sound like a fool, but you have to understand, I am a fool. What's the best type of washer to help tighten say a thumb screw and that won't hurt the paint job as you describe? Like what's the ideal material/brand etc. in y'all's experience?

WannaOC

Post by WannaOC » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:18 am

Well Trip for that I used small rubber O rings I found at lowes or home home depo. Be sure to bring the screw with you because they hav a ton of sizes. They are in the plumbing isle, or where it says something like "faucet or sink repair" or something similar. They are nice and cheap for 10. I also placed these in between my case fan and case and they work great.