Silentmaxx ST-11 vs. AcoustiCase AC C6606A

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

silenceseeker

Silentmaxx ST-11 vs. AcoustiCase AC C6606A

Post by silenceseeker » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:13 am

Greetings,
I am currently looking for a "quiet case" (the case itself doesn't make noise, but you know what I mean :)) and I am debating between Silentmaxx ST-11 and AcoustiCase AC C6606A.

The problem is... they are not among the cases evaluated/recommended here and I have no idea how they compare against each other (and against SPCR's recommended ones).

Anyone had experience with either of those and can comment?

Thank you!
Sam

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:18 am

I've never seen either of them but the model number of the Acousti-case is suspiciously like a Compucase model number. You can surf on over to Compucase's website and browse there. That case looks like it has pretty poor ventilation, not a good thing for keeping the case contents cool. The front bezel apparently (by design) has no openings at all and the fan grills on the back wall are very restrictive.

I decided to search Google for "Compucase 6606" and got tons of hits. Run that search and browse thrugh the results that you get.

That Silentmax case looks real familiar, I'm pretty sure we've discussed it here. Use the SPCR search.

If you Google it you'll get a bunch of hits to German sites. Run some of the sites through a translator and see what they have to say about it.

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:10 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:the model number of the Acousti-case is suspiciously like a Compucase model number...
You are so right! it is obvious from the pictures here:
AcoustiCase vs. CompuCase.

It seems that I am not too keen on any of the two now. Both the silentmax and the accusticase seem overpriced and they don't even deliver a "near-perfect" solution (heat/noise combination). I also don't like cases that obstruct a CD tray with yet another layer of plastic...

It seems that the Evercase ECE4252 (highest scores in SPCR's review) is what I should opt for, if I want to "play it safe". What do you think?

Sam

P.S. I really like aluminum case (especially because of their light weight), but I got the impression that they are not recommended here. Am I correct?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:03 pm

I never really got that impression. It's just that (1) there are few aluminum cases designed for silence and (2) they tend to be a LOT more expensive than a similar steel case. Basically all the things mentioned on the recommended list you linked to.

Given that the only real benefit is the weight, most here prefer to spend the $ on stuff that makes a real difference. Lugging the thing around is the only time it matters. My case sits under a desk except when I want to install something.

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:39 pm

silenceseeker wrote:I also don't like cases that obstruct a CD tray with yet another layer of plastic...
Personally I like having a door. It’s another layer of sound absorption. :)

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:16 pm

mrzed wrote:I never really got that impression.
Here is a direct quotation from the Recommended Cases article: "...This does not mean aluminum cases cannot be used to make a silent computer, just that there are disadvantages with them when compared to similarly constructed steel cases."

Again, this just my subjective impression: "yeah aluminum cases are nice BUT..."

Dhurdahl

Post by Dhurdahl » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:02 am

Well I got myself a C6606A and after the normal hacksaw procedure on the fan wents it's quite nice..

If your not in a hurry they are releasing a new case in a few weeks though
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/futureproducts.asp

Def looks much better :D

Semm

Post by Semm » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:54 am

Hi there.

I got an ST-11 case for my girlfriend's computer. It's nice in that it significantly drops the noise from the hard drive, to the point where it's only barely audible at idle. I happen to like seek noises, as it lets me know when something's going on, but they're muted as well. This is with a 10k rpm drive. It also makes the CPU fan and the 5v fan blowing over the zalman graphics card cooler inaudible. The trouble is that the airflow seems to be bad. I have the cables cleared out of the path, but temperatures go up about 8C when I put the cover on. All in all, I'd recommend it if you don't want to spend the time setting your own case up, but if you don't mind the work I would recommend damping things yourself, as you'll have much better control.

Hope that helped, and ask if you want to know more.

Semm

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:40 am

If you're still looking for case suggestions now that you're not considering the original two, may I suggest the Antec SLK3700AMB or the SLK3700BQE. Both are excellent cases with great ventilation. Lots of people have had real good luck with the 3700AMB, the BQE is a brand-new slightly modified version of the AMB. There' a review of each case on the main SPCR site as well as tons of posts here in the forums.

silenceseeker

Post by silenceseeker » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:06 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:If you're still looking for case suggestions now that you're not considering the original two, may I suggest the Antec SLK3700AMB or the SLK3700BQE. Both are excellent cases with great ventilation. Lots of people have had real good luck with the 3700AMB, the BQE is a brand-new slightly modified version of the AMB. There' a review of each case on the main SPCR site as well as tons of posts here in the forums.
Ralf, thank you very much for your reply. I think I have already made up my mind: I will go with the Evercase ECE4252 rather than the Antec SLK3700 since in SPCR's review it scored higher in both airflow and noise.

Unless you tell me otherwise... :)

Sam

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:41 am

silenceseeker wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:If you're still looking for case suggestions now that you're not considering the original two, may I suggest the Antec SLK3700AMB or the SLK3700BQE. Both are excellent cases with great ventilation. Lots of people have had real good luck with the 3700AMB, the BQE is a brand-new slightly modified version of the AMB. There' a review of each case on the main SPCR site as well as tons of posts here in the forums.
Ralf, thank you very much for your reply. I think I have already made up my mind: I will go with the Evercase ECE4252 rather than the Antec SLK3700 since in SPCR's review it scored higher in both airflow and noise.

Unless you tell me otherwise... :)

Sam
The 4252's a fine case, it's just somewhat cheaper and flimsier than the Antec cases. I've never compared the two side-by-side but I did build a sytem with a 4252 a few years ago (before the SLK3700 existed) and it does have good ventilation. My impression is that the airflow in the SLK3700's is just as good as the 4252, but I can't swear to it.