Lian-li pc60 drive mounting mod

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Nickp

Post by Nickp » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:56 am

Thought I would share how I mounted my Seagate drives in my Lian-li pc60 case. This site has helped me a lot and wanted to pitch in. I have two Barracuda 7200.7s, a 160gig and an 80 gig, which are quiet, compared to my old WD but they vibrate. The vibration was causing the case side to buzz disturbing an otherwise quite setup.
Materials:
1/2 aluminum u channel, home depot $7
Rubber grommets -, hardware store $2
Motherboard standoffs left over parts
Drive mounting screws that fit into standoff, left over parts
Bolts and nuts that hold channel to drive cage, hardware store $2
Prepare parts:
I put the standoff in my drill, screw end in, and using a metal file made the end round. I adjusted the standoff diameter to easily fit into the grommet.
I cut the u channel to the length of the drive cage, drives will now mount horizontally. I then drilled two holes in one side of the aluminum to accept the grommet, which line up with the side HD drive screw holes. On the other side I drilled two mounting holes to fasten the u channel to the side of the drive cage.
Assembly:
*Screwed the modified stand-offs into the drive sides.
*Pushed the grommet into the u channel hole.
*Slide the standoff into the grommets and put a screw into the end of the standoff so the u channel could not slip off. Did both sides
*Slide the HD drive and u channel assembly into the drive cage. Bolt the u-channel to the drive cage.
I works great and costs little money. No more buzzing and the drive access noise are much reduced. Up to three drives can be mounted in the standard cage. If anyone is interested I could take a couple of pictures.
Later,
Nick

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Lian-li pc60 drive mounting mod

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:28 am

Nickp wrote:If anyone is interested I could take a couple of pictures.
Later,
Nick
Of course we want you to post pictures!! ASAP, if not sooner.

Nickp

Post by Nickp » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:32 am

Ralf,
Took the pictures but this forum does not allow image uploading so I will make a home page at Verizon. I was going to do it any way and this is a good reason to get me going on it. I have to work today so will post them tonight.
Nick