tool-less designs good for silence?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

the_bfg

tool-less designs good for silence?

Post by the_bfg » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:26 am

I'm still trying to decide on a case (looking at the CoolerMaster ATCS-710, LianLi PC6070, Antec3700AMB/BQE/Sonata and FongKai 330), and started wondering about the new case designs and the focus on screwless designs:

The question is : surely using drive rails for 5.25" devices, clips for PCI cards (see Fong Kai 330), and other tool-less designs allows those devices/cards to vibrate more and hence make noise? Screwing them into the chassis at least adds ~10 kgs (or more) of mass damping to their vibration?

At least thats what logic/physics tells me - what are peoples experiences?

all input welcome!

/bfg

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:58 am

Well designed rails etc don't seem that much less solid than screws to me. As far as 5.25" devices go, I would never install a HD up there in the hottest part of the case unless I had to, and optical drives are so loud spinning that I would never notice the vibration over top of the whooshing noise. IMO, it's not really an issue.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:21 am

I'm running the Evercase 4252 (and loving it) which is a screwless design. I've had no problems with rattles or vibrations, even when the CD drive spins up to maximum.

I've got screws holding in the motherboard, psu, hard disk (well, before I suspended it), and fans. The floppy and optical drives are secured tool-free, as well as the PCI and AGP cards. I've had no problems with rattling from anything. And the video card is held quite secure, even with a ZM17 cooler added. I'm confident it would hold up to a ZM80 cooler as well.

The tool-free 5.25 bays on the Evercase don't use drive rails, but have a tight fit, then are 'spring loaded' into place. Take a look at some pics at Newegg to see the details on that.

Once I get closer to finalizing my interior case setup, I'll probably go ahead and screw everything in though, as I do have that option as well.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:29 am

I think if that were a concern, you would want to isolate or suspend the drive.

A tooless design for holding parts of the case together might have more chance to rattle, if the thumbsrews were not tightened enough.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:36 am

If the mechanism is designed well there shouldn't be any extra vibration.

If you take the Fk-330 as an example, there may actually be less vibration, bacause the mechanism forms a more secure attachment than a single screw would. And the mechanism is locked closed, unlike a screw that could work its way loose. (I have never seen a screw work its way loose, but in theory it could happen)