different case stand-off placement = different sound?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sonarcade

Post by Sonarcade » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Has anyone noticed a difference in rattling in a case depending on the way stand-offs are screwed in a case(eg. using all of the standoffs, arrangement thereof)? I haven't used up all of my standoffs just because I don't have enough holes on my motherboard but maybe the standoffs could be used to dampen the vibration by merely making contact. I haven't compared this since I haven't found the time to disassemble my box yet. But I was wondering if some of the spontaneous "rattles" can be accounted for by my not using all of the standoffs.
<BR> On a related note, has anyone found the tightness of the screws for pci cards or ide drives affect the amplitude of the total noise emanated from the box?
[addsig]

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

I've found a high speed fan would add some vibration to the motherboard tray... I'd imagine it would be worse with less standoffs to distribute the vibration along.
<br>
<br>I'd suggest using all the standoffs... Nothing worse than plugging something in somewhere and hearing something crack from being flexed!
[addsig]

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:55 pm

NoiseControl Silverados came with cork foam to stick on the back of the CPU socket to stop some of the vibrations getting from the motherboard to the case from the CPU fan, that might help if u can get your hands on some cork spacers, and I agree with josephclemente leave all the spacers in, the Motherboard is tuff but u don't want to tempt fate :wink: