CompuCase LX-6A19 Black/Silver pictures anyone?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

CompuCase LX-6A19 Black/Silver pictures anyone?

Post by matt_garman » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:50 pm

I like the looks of the the CompuCase LX-6A19. (This is basically the same as the Antec 3700 BQE and AMB.)

I really like the looks of the Black & Silver LX-6A19 available at Directron---except for the silver part of the bezel. (I realize Coolcases.com sells these as well, but the prices are quite a bit higher.)

However, that picture on the Directron site isn't too great; I was wondering if anyone actually owns one of these and can post pictures, or if anyone has web links with better pictures?

Thanks!
Matt

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:26 am

I don't own the case but I'm looking at it as one possibility. From what I read on the forums it is a great case. I'm not sure about the finish. Pictures that I saw weren't great. I came to the conclusion that the case looks sub-par. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing you can do - CompUSA seem to sell it's bigger brother under brand of FMI, you can stop by and see for yourself. In fact, this is what I plan to do :)

Blue with window: http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

Black with no window: http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

I remember reading one review where they complained that the insides of the case weren't rounded and one could cut his finger easily. I don't know if this is true but for me that would mean and automatic "no".

Blooz

Post by Blooz » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:54 pm

I have a black LX-6A19 which I got from Directron. The case finish is very nice, with the exception of the silver front grille. It's painted silver. I sanded the rough silver paint off of mine, and dyed it black using vinyl dye.

If you read the item description on the blue CompUSA case, that's the alternative configuration with 2-80MM front intake fans, not the 120 setup.

I've done a lot of work inside my case without ever encountering any sharp edges, never mind getting cut. I think this is a very well-built case for the price.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:28 pm

Yes CompUSA sells it's bigger brother, CI or something. The reason I suggested it is because one can actually go to B&M store and touch it.

I actually wonder whether this case is any worse than LA-6X19. It's got dual 80mm in front and it's a little bit bigger plus it's got a bar. Should be as good, right?

Blooz

Post by Blooz » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:50 pm

I don't see why not. There's plenty of quiet 80MM's available.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:39 pm

Blooz wrote:I've done a lot of work inside my case without ever encountering any sharp edges, never mind getting cut. I think this is a very well-built case for the price.
I have the beige model from Directron. No sharp edges here either. Solidly built. No complaints about the construction.

I did have to "modify" the PCI card retaining mechanism though, in order to fit in the Radeon 9800 with VGA silencer. (The retaining mechanism does not work with the "dual plate" of the silencer.)

boe

Did the 6a19 come with 120mm fans?

Post by boe » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:45 pm

I just ordered the $39 directron model of the compucase 6a19. I was wondering if it came with fans or should I order some. If it came with fans, can you tell me what model they are?

Thanks

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Did the 6a19 come with 120mm fans?

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:57 am

boe wrote:I just ordered the $39 directron model of the compucase 6a19. I was wondering if it came with fans or should I order some. If it came with fans, can you tell me what model they are?

Thanks
The pics show it with one rear fan but it probably won't be too quiet at it's default 12V setting. You could either try undervolting it, or get a quieter 120mm fan like the Papst 4412, low speed Evercool or the adjustable Enermax.

Joe DeFuria

Re: Did the 6a19 come with 120mm fans?

Post by Joe DeFuria » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:07 am

boe wrote:I just ordered the $39 directron model of the compucase 6a19. I was wondering if it came with fans or should I order some. If it came with fans, can you tell me what model they are?

Thanks
Just last night I removed the fan from my 6A19 and put it in the rear of my Evercase. I forgot the brand / model on the fan sitcker though. :oops: I can check later tonight after I got home.

The particular fan that came with my 6A19 is fairly quiet at reduced voltage, and there was only a very faint ticking noise that I cannot hear unless my ear is next to it.

Of the three fans that I have at my immediate disposal, it is actually best combinatoin of noise at 5-7 Volts for me. The Evercool Aluminum pushes more air, has no "ticking", but it does have a louder "whoosh" because it's pushing more air. The stock Stealth case fan has lots of ticking.

I'm still going to try the Evercool at <5V, but setting the FanMate at it's lowest setting, and reducing it further by using SpeedFan software control. I also may pick up a Pabst 4412 (as Ralf suggested), for comparison purposes.

FYI though, there's no guarantee what fan you're going to get with the 6A19. It may or may not be the same fan that I got.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:55 am

You'll be happy with the Papst 4412.