Negative Pressure Cases...No Way!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bat

Post by Bat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:01 pm

How about removing the fan from the PSU in a positive-pressure case, just letting air flow out through it without a fan? Perhaps even remove the fan from the PSU and use it as an intake fan.

In the minidisc player, perhaps it's magnetic dust from the disc. Not sure how likely that is, but in something like a tape player or floppy disc drive then it would be a good bet.

It's easy to check whether a case is at positive or negative pressure: put some plastic food wrap loosely over a reasonably sized hole and see whether it bulges in or out. I suppose you could even use something based on this idea to control the speed of an exhaust fan so that it doesn't run too fast.

Unseaming Chris

Post by Unseaming Chris » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:37 am

Has anyone tried the filter on the Acousticase C6607? I was planning on using this and a quiet 120mm intake with only the PSU (generic noisemaker-> nexus 300 eventually) as an exhaust. I was hoping this would give postive pressure and limit the dust intake, as this machine runs 24/7 in what amounts to a loft conversion in a 17th century building. Hardly the perfect dust free enviroment.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:26 am

if you are interested in positive pressure cases, be sure to look at some of Bluefront's projects. He use huge filters with high surface areas to clean the intakes. The Acousticase C6607 filter wouldn't be as good (it's the same case (minus door) and prob. same filter as Antec SLK3700AMB - there's a review of the case in the article section and lots of discourse on it in these forums)

Unseaming Chris

Post by Unseaming Chris » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:19 pm

Yeah it's Bluefront's good work that's inspired me to try and do something about noise/dust in my server. I just doubt I'd be able to do the quality of work he does so I thought I'd go with something off the shelf.