Configuring the 5.03 Graphical client

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SethV10

Configuring the 5.03 Graphical client

Post by SethV10 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:45 am

I have tried using the text only 5.04 client and had issues with the other programs responding very slowly. While I know this not "supposed" to happen, it is an issue I need to deal with.

With the graphical client, is it possible to have F@H running at a small CPU % and then kick up to 100% when the screen saver kicks in? How does one configure this?

Thanks,
Seth

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 am

Greetings Seth, and welcome to SPCR Folds!

Are you in Windows, or another OS? If so, which flavor of Windows? I would suggest the text client configured as a service. Did you check out the sticky about configuring FAH?

And thanks in advance for your contribution!

SethV10

Post by SethV10 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:37 am

I am running XP Pro. FAH is loaded as a service with the following switches:
-local -forceasm -advmethods -verbosity 9
According to the FAQs, this should not affect the performance of the system. I have tried both 5.0.2 and 4 consoles with the same results. With 0.4, by cutting the CPU % back in the advanced config I am getting better responses. Would like to cut back even more, but then it will stay there even when I am not on the machine.

I think I have read all the stickys, but which one are you reffering to. I might have missed one that has what I need.

Ideally, I would like to drop CPU utilization to 40-50% while I am on the machine. Then when the screen saver kicks in, utilization would go to 100%.

If all else fails, I will need to config 5.0.3 in screensaver only mode. Can't find instructions for that, can someone point me to them please?

Thanks,

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:00 am

Hi Seth,

I would try it without any of those switches. I think that they applied to earlier versions of the client. It should work so that if you do anything on the computer, then FAH to drop to near 0%, but if you lets it sit idle for a few seconds, it will shoot up to 99% of the CPU time. In other words, you should not notice that it is running at all!

SethV10

Post by SethV10 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:21 am

Thanks for the input.

I have gone back and edited the registry to get rid of the switches. The same problem exists - slow response from other programs loaded and minimized to the task bar. For me, this solution is not wonderful. I beleive that the issue has to do with swapping memory to the swap file and vise versa.

The question now comes back to the Windows 5.0.3 Graphical client. If I set this up for normal operation at say 50% CPU utilization, will the screensaver starting up cause it to go back to 100% utilization? Are there any good instructions on setting up the Graphical client out there? How does one set up for screensaver only operation?

Thanks,

Lord_Anubis

Post by Lord_Anubis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:31 pm

why do you want to use the sceensaver? I disable the screensaver on all my windows machines, I just shut off the monitor off when not in use.

Over at overclockers someone wrote a program which shuts the F@H service off when comp in use, I don't know how it works exactlly (never tried it) but it may work for you.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... stop+F%40H

Good luck.