Service, Username, Team number

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Service, Username, Team number

Post by Cams » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 pm

I recently rebuilt my main 24/7 folding PC. I also fold on the family PC on the same network. In both cases, I have FAH installed as a service. I don't remember how I installed it on the family PC, but in the Processes tab on the task manager, it shows FahCore_78.exe and FAH504-Console.exe. The former uses 99% of the CPU when the computer is idle, so I guess it's working okay.

However, as I wasn't folding on my 24/7 PC for a few days, I noticed that I wasn't submitting any units from the family PC, even though it seems to be folding. How would I check whether I have the right username and team number plugged in? It's been folding for MONTHS and I would hate to think that SPCR is not getting any of my points. And I was getting so close to page 2 of the stats as well...

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:47 pm

Morning Cams, have a look in your folding folder... i.e. fah1, for a file named client.cfg and open it with a text editor such as notepad or better wordpad.

The content of mine looks like:

[settings]
username=Pete_Amer
team=31574
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=342
bigpackets=yes

with wordpad and one long string with notepad.

You can use these settings too if you like...:D

Regards
Pete

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:52 pm

As I feared...

[settings]
username=Anonymous
team=0
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=31

So loads of points lost for SPCR I'm afraid. Over a year's worth if memory serves... :(

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Service, Username, Team number

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:52 pm

Cams wrote:It's been folding for MONTHS and I would hate to think that SPCR is not getting any of my points. And I was getting so close to page 2 of the stats as well...
If you check your name at Stanford themselves they say how many boxen they think you have. In your case it is 1 in the last 50 days which means you are correct - there is something wrong :cry:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Bummer :(

Just think though... your climb onto and through page two will be much faster with two machines folding for you. :D

And they'll help fend of the evil Macrumors.com for a while longer. 8)

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 am

Okay, I've got the problem sort of resolved on both PCs. I cleared everything out (but couldn't remove the actual service, so set it to disabled).

I then downloaded the:

"Windows NT/2000/XP "No nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option)" 5.04beta.

I then installed it, entered the appropriate info and am now folding. The only problem is that I now have a console window open on my taskbar which, if closed, shuts down the folding session. Previously I had it running as a service in the background but forget how I did it.

Any advice on that? I obviously did it wrong the last time as I thought I was folding for SPCR on 2 PCs, but it turns out that one was 'anonymous'. I don't like have things open on my taskbar that don't need to be there, so I really would like to change it.

Thanks
Cams

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:46 am

It's okay - after a reboot, the service starts up again and the console is not visible. So I'm folding again on 2 PCs! Page 2, here I come! :)