To cluster or not to cluster?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

disphenoidal

To cluster or not to cluster?

Post by disphenoidal » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 pm

What advantage does a cluster have over several non-clustered computers? And, how difficult would it be to set one up? I read the other thread about building a cluster, but I think I need more basic info on one. Can someone enlighten me as to the basics of clusters?

Also, I only have my laptop available right now, so I can't connect a monitor to other computers. Is there a way to administer other systems through a network?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:13 am

For folding a real cluster has no benefits. Clusters work for calculations that can be split into many parallel processes. Folding is a linear process that can't be parallelised.

What is common to use for fanatic folders is called a farm. Like a cluster, a farm consists of several (or many) computers, but they are all independent from each other. So you don't need special knowledge about special software to manage them.

To manage windows computers without monitor, either VNC (e.g. TightVNC) or some RDP client is used.

To manage *nix computers without monitor either VNC (for systems running X) or SSH (for system running in text mode) are common.

There are some projects that have a Linux live CD that turn one computer in to a terminal- and fileserver, so you can run all other systems in your farm without a HD.