Get back in the [Folding@Home] game!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Get back in the [Folding@Home] game!

Post by monkiman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

There's an awful lot of people with no production of the first page of the EOC stats. Give us a shout out and get Folding!
:D

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:52 pm

I've noticed that too....I've been moving up for a long time now, but I lost a few of the computers I had last fall.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:12 pm

I kind of stopped folding when i got a dual core. It was too complicated to have good control over two instances since i never bothred to learn the CLI client. And i haven't seen any concrete results from all this folding, so i figured im just wasting a lot of power and heating up my room. So i didn't bother folding on jsut one core either. And i dont run my machine 24/7 anymore either.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:02 pm

nici wrote:so i figured im just wasting a lot of power and heating up my room.
It comes in handy on those cold winter nights. :)

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Wouldn't want to heat up a room in Finland in the winter now would we... :D

There's no law that says it has to be 24/7 or running at full load - my work laptop is only used to fold during business hours on 1 core....

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:12 am

People who have Alzheimers don't have any options. Their disease is 24/7.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:53 pm

aristide1 wrote:People who have Alzheimers don't have any options. Their disease is 24/7.
quite the burn indeed.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:24 pm

That wasn't my intent though, so please don't take it personally.

Alzheimers is a terrible problem and it can go on for many years.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:27 pm

aristide1 wrote:That wasn't my intent though, so please don't take it personally.

Alzheimers is a terrible problem and it can go on for many years.
I know, it was just a very good comment that instills guilt...I would have more pc's folding, but the majority of the pc's I have folding aren't mine, and I don't know how much trouble I could get in if I installed it on too many..

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:37 pm

Hello,

If anybody here on SPCR has a dual core Mac or Linux machine, then you really need to run the Beta SMP client! I got it going on my brother's 17" Core Duo iMac, and it finished a 1,760 point work unit is about 2 days! :shock: :o :twisted:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=189150

I hope to heck they get a Windows SMP client up and running soon! Wow...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:18 pm

Neil,

I think your post needs more colors. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:49 am

Hello,

Ah c'mon! Two or three ain't that many, is it? :P

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:32 pm

Neil, your posts are starting to singe my retinas. 8)

As for me, I used to have a few computers folding, but they all had to be taken down for one reason or another. I'm hoping to get them back online in the next few months. And I'd really like to build a new scorcher of a system later this year and get it folding on multiple cores and GPU.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Hello team,

Two days later, and the Core Duo iMac has returned another 1,760 point F@H work unit!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=189150
:shock: :o :twisted:

I am amazed that a single computer can do 880 points per day! This is about double what my four x86 machines can do (with 5 clients)... I have tried in vain to get Ubutu 64bit to install on my X2 4200+ -- what other distro should I try, so I can Fold with the Linux SMP client?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Holy moly... that's insane...

Have you tried Fedora Core 6? I've installed it on a couple of systems and find it pretty easy to pick up.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:23 am

Hello,

So my brother Nathan is now #14 on the SPCR team -- and all he has is a single Core Duo iMac!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=31574

In another two days or so, he'll move to #11 or #12... :shock:

I found the problem keeping Ubuntu from booting on my machine: it doesn't work because of the dual video cards; if I remove one of them, it boots just fine. I'm going to confirm that the problem can be overcome, before I can install Ubuntu -- if I can, I can then run the Linux SMP Folding@Home client and (presumably) produce at least 880 PPD! :twisted:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:44 pm

How much do we have to bribe him to fold for us?

Any news on the GPU folding?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Hello,
aristide1 wrote:How much do we have to bribe him to fold for us?
He already is! :twisted: I hope that every member of these Forums who is running a dual core Intel Mac will run Folding@Home with this SMP client. It is very fast, obviously.

And this is why I'm trying to get a nice clean 64bit Linux distro installed on my Athlon 64 X2 machine, so I can keep ahead of him...

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 am

Well, I've been out of thegame for some time. I've moved continents and sold the old computer. But now I got a new rig (AMD 3200 X2 and ATI x1950 PRO) and just happened by the FAH forum again. It would be fun to fold again for a bit, methinks! I'll try to get three instances going, but I need to read more about GPU folding. By the sounds of it, you may need to shut it off whilst playing video games? Anyone have any useful links?

I just checked the stats, and someone has been turning in points for me over the last few months (like 2 wu's a month). I can't even remember all the computers I borged over the years, but it's good to know there's still one or two out there!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:21 am

Hello,

Here's the GPU FAQ:
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html
and the GPU F@H forum:
http://forum.folding-community.org/foru ... ssues.html

I think it works just like the CPU client -- it stops as soon as you demand something from the video card?

[Edit: I guess it runs all the time; too bad it doesn't pause when you need the capability.]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:03 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

I think it works just like the CPU client -- it stops as soon as you demand something from the video card?
here's a quote from the Faq you linked:
"The GPU client is not meant to be run in the background while one uses the computer for applications with heavy GPU usage -- it will greatly slow down the response of programs which make heavy use of a GPU "

I usually only run the client when I'm not at home, or sleeping. Since the gpu client causes some intermittent cpu usage, I underclock my system when running the gpu client to draw as little power as possible. Crystalcpuid is nice, it can make an icon that you can click, doing so intiates a static power state.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:49 am

Hello,

Our SPCR Folds team output has been decreasing -- we are in danger of losing our #20 status before too long. We need more folks to restart the Folding@Home clients on their machines -- at one point we had about 240 people Folding, and now we have just 129. :(

Let's get the gray out!!
How quiet can your machine be while Folding@Home? Try it and find out -- and then keep on Folding!

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:55 pm

The activity on this forum reflects the number of folders. I remember browsing this section as a guest 1-2 years ago looking for silent folders, and there was alot more action going on here. Can it be that many people came to the conclusion that the only way to keep their computers quiet with decent temperatures is to use the cpu as little as possible? With hot weather in the not so distant future, the number of users will only continue to decrease in a downward spiral.

One thing I think would help would be to post a short article on the SPCR homepage to try to recrute new folders. Judging by the number of views the posts/news on the front page get, it could maybe produce 100 new folders in the worst case scenario. A dramatic title like "SPCR needs your help!" should increase that number. :)

So whoever knows what knob to turn, what back to scratch and what string to pull to make such thing happen, get to it! :)

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:04 am

Shaman wrote:One thing I think would help would be to post a short article on the SPCR homepage to try to recrute new folders. Judging by the number of views the posts/news on the front page get, it could maybe produce 100 new folders in the worst case scenario. A dramatic title like "SPCR needs your help!" should increase that number. :)

So whoever knows what knob to turn, what back to scratch and what string to pull to make such thing happen, get to it! :)
That's a good idea!

My Folding Profile

I've been folding on two systems for over a year now and my progress is slow but steady. It's not that long ago that I posted here about getting onto the second page; I'm now about to break into the top quadrant of that page.

And I recently got a C2D MacBook, so I'll see about installing that uber-client that Neil mentioned. That should speed up my progress to get to page 1!

Cams, active folder

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 am

Just upgraded my computer (A64 3200+ to a A64 X2 3800+ dual core and went from 1gb to 2gb of faster memory) and have the FAH service running on both cores. (One-Click install worked great.)

We'll have to see what this does to my folding progress.

Meanwhile, the machine isn't any louder. CPU has gone from 47C when folding to 52-55C with the new CPU running 2 FAH clients, which is acceptable. Drops to 42C when FAH is shutdown. Hopefully, the temps will drop a bit as the AS5 gets burned in.

BTW, found the A64 X2 3800+ (socket 939) for $100. Seemed too good of a deal to not upgrade.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:39 pm

I downloaded the SMP client for windows. It just comes up with errors and then downloiads new WUs. In other words it doesn't work. Woohoo.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:22 am

Hi nici, what is/are the error code/codes?

This thread from the SMP for Windows Beta Forum might help point you in the right direction...

Good luck and let us know how you get on/are getting on.

Pete

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:47 am

Hello Nici,

Did you install the .NET before the SMP client? I will have to try this myself -- I had not realized the Windows SMP client was in public Beta. As much as I like Ubuntu, rebooting my machine back and forth so I can work, and then run the Linux SMP client is a bit of a pain...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi,

Well, I got the Windows SMP client running: the trick is not putting in a user name on the first question of the Install.BAT -- as long as you are an administrator, just hit enter w/o any name, and then type in you password twice. Then running the fah.exe actually starts the core.

Oh, and I had to manually download the a1 core and use a hex editor and then extract it with WinRAR...as per the instructions on the linked page.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:23 pm

Hmm... I wonder if I'll be able to get my cluster to work on this in the near future. I'm going to be getting my hands on a 20-node cluster soon, each node with 2x quad-core Xeons @2.66GHz. I'll ask my supervisor if we can run F@H in the nodes' downtime... :twisted: