Suggestions for best Cost:Fold setup?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GUNNER

Suggestions for best Cost:Fold setup?

Post by GUNNER » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Just upgraded my computer and realized I have a fair amount of the parts to build another machine which would probably just be used for FAH.

I'm looking for suggestions on what would be the cheapest setup for best folding results.

What I have:
AMD A64 3200+ (939 socket Winchester)
1 GB (2x512mb) DDR400
Somewhere in the frankenstein parts box, I'm sure I have:
Network card, Keyboard and mouse, CD-ROM, 3.5 floppy, HD (~40GB)
Win98SE or Win2k (have both that aren't being used since I went to XP)

What should I get to set this up to inexpensively fold? (Can't be too noisy as I won't have CAT-5 run to the garage for at least 6 months. More likely a year. So it will be in the home office.)

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:41 pm

If your motherboard and case allows, buy a ninja ($40 at Newegg) and run that 3200 passively. Get a quiet case fan, (Nexus, Yate Loon ($3 at Jab-Tech), or a Scythe S-Flex 800rpm). With these parts, the only noise would be the HDD and the PSU. You could easily change the PSU fan, and suspending the HDD may cut back on vibrations.

Cerberus

Re: Suggestions for best Cost:Fold setup?

Post by Cerberus » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 pm

GUNNER wrote:Just upgraded my computer and realized I have a fair amount of the parts to build another machine which would probably just be used for FAH.

I'm looking for suggestions on what would be the cheapest setup for best folding results.

What I have:
1 GB (2x512mb) DDR400

What should I get to set this up to inexpensively fold? (Can't be too noisy as I won't have CAT-5 run to the garage for at least 6 months. More likely a year. So it will be in the home office.)
I didn't see a motherboard listed there... do you have one for that AMD? All VIA chipsets seem to have retained support at least to Win98SE, so, if necessary, you can pick up a microATX board with integrated graphics (K8M890 chipset, for example) and start folding with either of your old OSes.

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:08 am

No, I don't have a motherboard, video card, case, or PSU (that I'm willing to use).

That's the stuff I was looking for recommendations of price/performance/sound level to go with the items I do have.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Suggestions for best Cost:Fold setup?

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm

GUNNER wrote:Just upgraded my computer and realized I have a fair amount of the parts to build another machine which would probably just be used for FAH.

What I have:
1 GB (2x512mb) DDR400

If you're willing you can get a mobo for the CPU for like $50-$60. Once you have a PCI-E slot then you get a video card that can do some serious folding. Since quiet is a big deal pick up a fanless HIS card with like an ATI 1650 chip. That won't be much of a load on a power supply either. Otherwise get a cheap video card and just fold with the processor you have, perhaps a mobo with built in video like a GForce-6100. You don't need a network card with either board here. There are cheaper boards than the Biostar but then they start cutting too many corners. You didn't mention if you have a power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813136007

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138269

You could probably tweak either of these boards.