It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual Core and Points Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:44 am 

Ok, first lemme say that I have read the other recent posts here regarding my issues. I also have searched the internet, and tried many solutions but none seem to work.

My first problem involves folding with my CPU. I have a Pentium D 945 (3.4 GHz) and I want to fold with two instances while I'm at school. However, I cannot seem to get any version of F@H working(in two instances). I have tried the graphical version (one instance) and it seems to work. The console version will not work, even when using one instance. Everything sets up correctly, downloads the protien, and then nothing. The timeout will stop it and it will try again, only to be stopped again by the timeout

I am folding on my gpu succesfully. Its a X1950PRO and it works very well. (Close to 300 WU's every three hours.)

My second problem involves my points. I have been folding for about a week now and have not received any points. You can see my stats here and here . (I am the very last person on both lists.) You can see that I have completed over six thousand WU's and still have zero points. Can someone explain what's going on?

Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me cuz I wanna fold too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm 

i can't tell you what is going on but I can tell you I have 4 computers all 2ghz folding for a year now and I only have 234 WUs. Something is wrong.

I am also wondering if my dual core system is even counting. I have 4 systems, 1 is a dual core, and it only shows 3 processors folding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 pm 

autoboy wrote:
I have 4 computers all 2ghz folding for a year now and I only have 234 WUs. Something is wrong.

You CAN'T be serious. :shock: :shock: :shock:

*picks up jaw from floor*

I've been running my x1950pro for only five days. (24/7) :shock:

Is a GPU client really that much better???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:15 pm 

no, a WU is supposed to take a day or more to complete. You just started and you already have 7000. That is a little extreme. My office PC here has been folding since July and I have 84 WUs on a 1.8Ghz Sempron. I really can't tell you what is going on. I was just trying to Ninja your thread to help me with my dual core problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 pm 

Should I stop? I dont want be accused of cheating and bring a bad rep to SPCR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:25 pm 

Hello,

Here's how I have two instances of Folding@Home running at the same time on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+: I installed the GUI client in one folder, and the CLI client in another folder.

I installed the CLI client as a service, and after a reboot, I can't see it running. And I have shortcut to the GUI client in the Startup folder.

I think that is it! (It has been a while, but that certainly is the gist of it.) I even have them set up so no matter which Windows I boot from (I have 32bit and 64bit Windows dual-booted), it runs the same clients and works on the same data. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:10 pm 

I have installed the console version to two different directories. For some reason either console will not work (one or two instances). If it makes a difference, in the shortcut to the .exe file reads: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@Home Console 1\FAH504-Console.exe" -local -advmethods -verbosity 9.

Am I using the correct modifiers? I've read that the -local is required for a dual core machine. I have also changed the Machine ID to 1 and 2 for their respective consoles. Did I miss something or do something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm 

i wouldn't say you are cheating because you still have 0 points :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:53 am 

Hello,

I tried two console (CLI) clients, and I could not get it to work; even changing the name of the exe file or the directory. Maybe it is possible, but the GUI and the CLI together.

Hopefully they make a dual core client for Windows, like they have for Linux and Mac OSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:14 am 

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Maybe it is possible, but the GUI and the CLI together.

Ok, I tried this and I think that it works. I have a F@H entry that is "started" in my services window. (services.msc) I also have a F@H tray icon where the GUI client is running. I have yet to see any progress though. :? I stopped folding on my GPU so I can see what my CPU is folding. I'll post my results soon. (assuming I get some.) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:26 am 

Hello,

You can use Electron Microscope III to monitor the progress of both CPU clients, and probably the GPU client, too. If they are all in separate folders, then it should work.

BTW, you can download the SPCR Folding@Home skin for EMIII (look farther down on the downloads page), too, since the stock skin is fairly ugly, IMO.

Post subject: 2 console versions works for me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:41 pm 

Hi Neil.

I have two console versions running for me ok on an x2.

There are two separate directories, with a copy of the executable in each directory. They are not set up as services. I put a shortcut to each executable into my programs->startup with

shortcut named Fold1:
target: G:\Fold1\FAH504-Console.exe -forceasm -local -advmethods
start in: G:\Fold1

shortcut named Fold2:
target: G:\Fold2\FAH504-Console.exe -forceasm -local -advmethods
start in: G:\Fold2

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 am 

I have two computers, each with multiple processors.

As the previous poster noted, you need to run each of the processes in its own directory.

You also need to run the console setup program. The setup program will ask you the process number. The first process is 1, the second is 2, etc.

You will also need to add -local to the command, otherwise each process will overwrite data from the other.

To access the configuration, just add -config to the startup command.