Ati 7.3 drivers support F@H GPU

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sjoukew

Ati 7.3 drivers support F@H GPU

Post by sjoukew » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:32 pm

For those who want to fold something on ATI GPU's, the new ATI Catalyst drivers version 7.3 do support folding@home.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:55 pm

Lets try it and see if its any good. With Vista I am not happy with 7.2 drivers

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:53 pm

I still get BSOD when shutting down, which causes system to reboot. Control Center can't open. I don't see any updates. And buy the time the drivers work will this card be obsolete?

I'm sorry I ever heard of the GPU client. :x

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:04 pm

ARGH!

I have a Conroe running a regular FAH on CPU IDs 1 and 2 and 90% maximum. I then tried to start a GPU, but it says CPUID 1 is busy. Hey, go use the GPU, there's a little bit of CPUID 1 left over for you as well. But it doesn't like that.

What are you running besides the GPU?

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:40 am

It runs fine with me, no problems whatsoever. ( C2D E6600, ASUS EAX 1950PRO), win XP.
But most of the time I am not running folding@home. With the gpu client running the entire system is reacting somewhat slowly, so that it is irritating when you are working with it.
And the FAH GPU client uses a lot of cpu power also to get the gpu working.( is uses 1 core). (but, it is still 20-30x faster than the cpu clients :) )
To save power the standby function is also beautiful, especially when I am not behind my desk. I only tried folding@home to see if it did work, and when I am running FAH my system is heating up, and making more noise.
I also tried the SMP client (windows) but that one wasn't able to send the results back :(.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:33 am

It runs fine with me, no problems whatsoever. ( C2D E6600, ASUS EAX 1950PRO), win XP.
So you are running 2 regular FAH console version programs AND a console version GPU as well?

The GPU pgm said flat out "Forget it!"

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:02 pm

No only the gpu client, and for the fun of it, I tried all the others once. Then I have 1 core to spare for the other system tasks that are sometimes at hand, like defragmenting harddisks, recording tv programs etc.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:09 am

sjoukew wrote:And the FAH GPU client uses a lot of cpu power also to get the gpu working.( is uses 1 core). (but, it is still 20-30x faster than the cpu clients :) )
Any idea how much of the cpu is used?
sjoukew wrote:To save power the standby function is also beautiful, especially when I am not behind my desk. I only tried folding@home to see if it did work, and when I am running FAH my system is heating up, and making more noise. I also tried the SMP client (windows) but that one wasn't able to send the results back :(.
Did you ever find out why it couldn't send the results? :x

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am

aristide1 wrote:
sjoukew wrote:And the FAH GPU client uses a lot of cpu power also to get the gpu working.( is uses 1 core). (but, it is still 20-30x faster than the cpu clients :) )
Any idea how much of the cpu is used?
1 thread running full speed, that is 1 cpu core. It polls the vga card to see if it has finished it's work, and delivering new work( I thought )
aristide1 wrote:
sjoukew wrote:To save power the standby function is also beautiful, especially when I am not behind my desk. I only tried folding@home to see if it did work, and when I am running FAH my system is heating up, and making more noise. I also tried the SMP client (windows) but that one wasn't able to send the results back :(.
Did you ever find out why it couldn't send the results? :x
No, I didn't bother either anymore. Because it was a beta client it had a tight schedule, and the work unit was far beyond the due date, so I just thought -> I stick to the gpu client, that works well.