IE woes

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

herosformula

IE woes

Post by herosformula » Tue May 01, 2007 7:50 am

One of my computers just sat there, chugging away at units and attempting to send them every 30 minutes.

Every time it would attempt to send, my network would blow apart. Latencies into the 5 second range. (not milliseconds - seconds!)

It could fetch units and work on them, but the destination servers always were down.

I had so many work units stacked up, the oldest ones were being deleted to make room for new results.

After getting new routers and a new internet service, no improvement.

Turns out that a new patch to Internet Explorer closed all high-numbered outgoing ports. Since the folding@home collection servers use port 8080, they were blocked.

Simple fix - when the folding@home program says "Use internet explorer settings?" you say no (or hell no) (or what were you thinking, of course no)

/cry, to think of those months of lost packets

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue May 01, 2007 10:50 am

:( Big Sympathy due there herosformula. :(

Big Bummer... :evil:

I have a WU sat in queue since mid April due to down servers. Yesterday had a bad checksum on current WU and restarted..... after 96% done on a slow machine... :(

Hey Ho!!... :roll:

avi_dan

Post by avi_dan » Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 pm

you can still try to send some of them.

check the state of the queue, (-queueinfo) and if there are any finished WU that the deadline hasnt expired, you can use the send command with the queue position.

of course, first make sure you have connectivity...

Avi

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: IE woes

Post by aristide1 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:38 am

herosformula wrote: Simple fix - when the folding@home program says "Use internet explorer settings?" you say no (or hell no) (or what were you thinking, of course no)

/cry, to think of those months of lost packets
Oh I had that problem and posted it here. It was documented over at the FAH forums as well.