It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows SMP client expiring very soon!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:20 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Folding community thread here: http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic21289.html

kasson wrote:
The previous Windows SMP beta client expires at the beginning of October. I have posted an updated client at the same location, accessible from the download page. This one is good until the beginning of February.

There are no major updates in this client. We are working hard on a new and improved Windows SMP client to fix a number of the problems with the current one, but we don't have an ETA yet. We'll announce that one when it's ready.

Available now from here.

A '.tgz' version is also available but read the linked thread to find out about the downloading problems with I.E.

Regards
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Thanks for the reminder. I lost track the last time and then lost out of a ton of points.

I have to go buy some more Bug & Tar Remover for the tarred Linux version. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 am 

Hello,

I just installed the SMP F@H on this machine late last week -- how can I tell if I have installed this newer version? It says v1.01.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:18 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Hi Neil, don't know as the version here: http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html says 5.91 for windows SMP which seems a long way from your 1.01... or am I being stupid? :D

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:27 pm 
Friend of SPCR

my folder definitely says 1.01. i'm not sure how to tell the difference.

also, anybody know a good method to upgrade the expiring client without losing any WU's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:01 pm 

> also, anybody know a good method to upgrade the expiring client without losing any WU's?

Plan A: Take a backup of the folding directory and restore it if anything goes wrong.

Plan B: Stop the old client then restart it (prior to expiration) with the -oneunit flag so that it will stop after completing and returning the current unit. Then install the new version and fire it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:34 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Oh yuck , too much work.

1. Make current WU last to process.
2. Let it run out.
3. Download update
4. Install.
5. Start up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:29 am 

aristede, doing that would harm Folding project as you have already received a new WU and you don't intend to return it within time. When you install a new version, I believe you get a new WU (not the same necessarily), right? So if some calculations require previous calculations to be done first, that stream of WUs gets postponed until your previous, deleted WU expires and gets resent to someone else. Of course it's just three day or so...

I don't think running -oneunit is that much extra trouble. Or alternatively set the option that client asks permission to connect to internet, then grant access to upload but deny access to download new one. That should do the trick as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:23 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Hello,

I just installed the SMP F@H on this machine late last week -- how can I tell if I have installed this newer version? It says v1.01.

Its probably correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:10 pm 
Friend of SPCR

I just stopped the current fah and put in the new .exe file, spun right up again where it was and continued the WU... bad idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:41 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

That's fine Wibla.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105165

Check this out people, NewEgg has AMD Quad cores in stock. One interesting user comment on this cpu, his swapped out his old ones (from 2 to 8 cores) and his total power usage went up by 5 lousy watts. Man what a folding increase that would be, its got 2MB of L3 cache.

Price isn't right yet, just good to see they finally made it to market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:20 am 
Friend of SPCR

For Win SMP users, I did it this way and didn't lose any progress:

- Stop FAH. If windowed, ctl-C. If scheduled task, disable task and reboot.
- Download and run the updater. It may say a file is locked and ask you to reboot again before installing.
- Run install.bat
- Run FAH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:33 am 

Hello,

My machine here at work is still running fine; and it finished a WU early this morning, so it would seem to be the new beta. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:20 pm 

One word of caution. I have a friend who installed the new client, but did not reconfigure. At least for Linux, the work unit size prompt changed, and so he was not getting the nice 1760 pt work units till he did a -configonly and updated the work unit size setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:51 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

There's no logical reason to program anything to not accept prior defaults. And since the damn thing can detect multi-cores then it should ask you if you want to run SMP, not "you tell it" or it "defaults to one."

Lousy programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:54 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

VanWaGuy wrote:
One word of caution. I have a friend who installed the new client, but did not reconfigure. At least for Linux, the work unit size prompt changed, and so he was not getting the nice 1760 pt work units till he did a -configonly and updated the work unit size setting.

I don't know for sure if your friend has Windows version or not, but from what I've read that -SMP business, and it's numb-nuts defaults, will end up on the Window's version as well.