SimT Gromacs - I need to vent

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DavidG

SimT Gromacs - I need to vent

Post by DavidG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 pm

I HATE these WU's.

My PPD has fallen from 3,000 PPD to 1,000. I thought one of my boxes was down. A quad core running 4 clients is going on 5 days to complete a 343 point WU. A normal WU takes about 24 hours for 600 points. I hate these things.

Ok, I'm done.

goink

Re: SimT Gromacs - I need to vent

Post by goink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:28 pm

DavidG wrote:I HATE these WU's.

My PPD has fallen from 3,000 PPD to 1,000. I thought one of my boxes was down. A quad core running 4 clients is going on 5 days to complete a 343 point WU. A normal WU takes about 24 hours for 600 points. I hate these things.

Ok, I'm done.
Feel better now ?

Mind if I ask why you are running 4 single-core clients ? I thought consensus was that running 2 SMP clients was better in the PPD department...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I like points too, but I try to keep in mind they have no cash value.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:32 pm

I initially installed the SMP client and it pegged the cores at 100% but never seemed to complete anything. I let it go for several days without any indication that it was progressing. My thinking at the time was I would install the non-SMP clients and wait for the SMP beta to expire and the promised SMP client install.

Four plus months later and still waiting. I guess I should go back and try again.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:50 pm

DavidG wrote:I initially installed the SMP client and it pegged the cores at 100% but never seemed to complete anything. I let it go for several days without any indication that it was progressing.
?? You didn't see any checkpoints?

goink

Post by goink » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:34 am

DavidG wrote:I initially installed the SMP client and it pegged the cores at 100% but never seemed to complete anything. I let it go for several days without any indication that it was progressing.
If you are using windows, you have to make sure to run install.bat before starting anything. If started correctly, it should print out as for each 1 percent of the WU it gets done with, though that is pretty much all it does.

At the end of install.bat, it checks if mpi is running, and that text should appear twice...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:32 am

He's right, 1 wrong move it won't work.

You need to delete everything you already downloaded for SMP and start over, I never found another way to recover from a faulty install.

1. Your windows ID must have a valid password, no password is not acceptable. SMP will not run.

2. Install the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0 before installing the SMP client. This is for XP, Vista already has it.

3. Next, run the self-extracting installer to choose an installation directory and install the files there.

4. Then run install.bat in the installation directory to complete the install process.

Client installation. Run install.bat from within the SMP install directory to complete the installation. This will install MPI services that the client needs. If you have Windows Firewall enabled, you may get a pop-up window asking if you should give access to the smpd and mpiexec programs. Grant access. If you use an alternate firewall product, you will likely have to make a similar exception for smpd.

NOTE The username and password you provide for mpiexec should be your Windows login that you will run the client under. This is used for authentication on your local machine. It is cached in encrypted form in your Registry and is not transmitted to FAH servers. And if you change your password, you will need to run install.bat again.

At the end of the install process, you should see two lines of output:

If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you do not see these lines, do not start the client. MPI is not successfully installed, and the client will not run successfully.

5. Running the fah.exe binary starts the client. You will get another pop-up firewall window.

From
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 am

Ok, I got the SMP version working this morning.

I've left 3 of the single cores running to finish up what they are working on. If I change the setting for "Ask before fetching/sending work" to yes while the cores are running will it pop up a dialog before it starts another WU? I'm looking for an easy way to shut the 3 cores down when they complete.

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Post by Plissken » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 am

DavidG wrote:I'm looking for an easy way to shut the 3 cores down when they complete.
You can use the command line switch -oneunit to have the client stop after the WU is complete.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:10 am

Plissken wrote:
DavidG wrote:I'm looking for an easy way to shut the 3 cores down when they complete.
You can use the command line switch -oneunit to have the client stop after the WU is complete.
Much better, no need to worry, just stop it now and restart with "-oneunit".

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am

Ok, thanks.