Decent DC overclocking an a matx case?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vaio

Decent DC overclocking an a matx case?

Post by vaio » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:35 am

Greetings :D

I am looking to eventually replace my current rigs with matx setups, specifically the Antec NSK2400 at this time.(I already use 2 of them).

My question is:

Can I build a decent Q6600 overclocking rig in these cases?
Note that they are to run dc 24/7.

I understand that the ultimate o/c would be limited compared to a full size atx rig-due to case restrictions/low profile heatsink etc....but the space-saving trade off and possible lower overall power consumption should offset that to some extent.

Do you think I could get a decent quad o/c in such circumstances?

I already have the component list in mind....just awaiting the finances now.

Possible parts list:

Antec NSK2400/2480 and it's own supply (could swap out for a Corsair if need be).
Asus P5K-VM(utilising onboard IGP).
Q6600 or Q9450 (probably the 6600).
Scythe mini-ninja (assuming it fits ok/otherwise modded XP120).
2gb Geil Ultra PC2 6400 (should I stretch to 1 gb per core?)
Hard disc not decided yet.(May run from a 4gb usb drive instead).

The budget is extremely limited so anywhere I can make savings would be welcome.

If overclocking would be highly limited I could opt instead for a cheaper board from the likes of AsRock.

Your views?

:D

vaio

Post by vaio » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am

Addendum:

I posted in this category because of the rigs intended use.
You guys are the 24/7 100% load folk so the most likely source of suitable replies :P

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Why not wait for the 45nm version?

From a heat perspective if you move air through the case quick enough size should become less of a factor. My E6400 is at 3.2GHz is a small crappy case, A Tuniq Tower, a Yate Loon and the Seasonic PS keep it reasonably cool for now. What happens in the summer when ambient temps could be as much as 30F (appc 20C) higher? I don't want to think about it yet.

From a power perspective you'll need a board that delivers larger amounts of steady power than a 45nm would require. The Biostar TForce is probably the best bet for 3 phase regulation, but more phases could mean a higher OC. You need a decent PS as well, since you constant load OCd will be close to, or even above, 200 watts full time.

You didn't mention how far you want to go OC-wise.

vaio

Post by vaio » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:26 am

Thank you for the response aristide1 :D

Given that I live in England my ambient summer temps will be mid-20's.

How far would I wish to overclock a 6600?-----I suppose as far as she could go whilst staying at stock voltage (to aid cooling).

I would be happy to reach 3 ghz or so under such conditions.

Why not wait for Yorkfield?----Simple answer to that is cost.
Yorkies would be an upgrade option down the line.

Re power supply----If the stock Antec supply isn't up to the job I can re-allocate my Corsair 520 which currently powers my Allendale 6300 rig.

I also have a Seasonic 430 in one of these rigs somewhere.

The main limitation as I see it is in having a top heatsink that fits the NSK2400.

Only options I am sure of are the mini ninja and a modded XP120.
I already have a spare XP120-I would just need the LGA 775 bracket.

Any other decent low profile heatsink options out there?
Open to other motherboard suggestions too.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 pm

I tend to think of OCing in increments of 66MHz. So in your case a Q6600 with an FSB of 333MHz (advertised as 1333MHz) should not be a problem. I'd get DDR2-800 memory even though your system may actually run just as well at DDR2-667 (also 333MHz). Intel boards like 1:1 FSBs.

Any board that has native 1333MHz support should handle your CPU fine, though I would recommend you at least read the user comments on NewEgg and once you decide on a board, the motherboard comments for that model both on NewEgg and Rebel's Haven Forum. Specifically you want to see for yourself how far others have successfully taking the cpu/board pair, although a great many leave the voltage part out. The BSEL mod would allow your board to boot up as native 333MHz FSB. Unlike OCing, everything should work perfectly, and trust me when you OC certain things just don't work, though they are not serious.

Any Intel P35 board should be OK, but this has a little more ooomph.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138075
There are alternatives.

I think this is a good lower profile cooler that would hold you for a while.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... VzaWFzdA==

Its 63mm tall, way lower than a mini ninja. About 90mm tall with a fan. A Yate Loon 120mm fan on top and you'll be blowing air onto the board which is always a good thing. You need to measure to see if it fits, I have my fingers crossed for you. 8) With this cooler setup you may even keep the northbridge at a decent temp. :shock:

Your case seems to have 2 fan holes, hopefully 80mm on one side. The PS should probably suck in air from the side opposite the side that faces the back of the case. That suggests your Antec is better suited for the job from an airflow standpoint, but your Seasonic is most likely better built. I'm guessing it's 120mm would point up, which should work for it.

Obviously you should start at stock speeds, run Prime 95 (times 4!) and see what your temps in the case are. Prime95 times 4 will put the most stress on your system, more than folding.

If you think you would upgrade in the near future then I would ask why not start with an E8400? The 45nm dual will make far less heat, save you a few dollars, and maybe another $60 since the stock HS may work fine. You would OC from 3GHz to 3.6GHz no problem at all.

Are you planning on folding? You don't seem concerned with video at all, so you can get the cheapest card going, even an old used PCI card for like $10 should work OK. OCing and integrated video don't seem to go together on the Intel side, plenty to choose from the AMD side only.
And again the low requirements for video suggest you won't be buring DVDs or processing RAW photo files that are like 50-200MB each. 2Gig of memory is fine, DDR2-800 and no reason not to buy CAS4, the price differential is just way too small right now. Corsair or Crucial, about $35 for 2 1Gig sticks.

vaio

Post by vaio » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Lots of detail in your responses...appreciated.

I am pretty experienced when it comes to overclocking so the means of getting the numbers I want isn't an issue---really the only thing I need decide on is the board.

The board in the OP is a proven decent clocking board, even with the onboard graphics enabled.

DDR2800 ram is a given and I've had good results with my Geil Ultra--running my Allendale 1:1 (468 x 7) so I know the ram won't hold me back.

The Biostar you linked to is an ATX board so that's no good, and they are hard to find in England anyway.

I know about the Thermalrights as I own 4 already :P

The case has mountings for 2 x 120mm fans on right hand side.
It's never had to work very hard yet as at the moment it houses an A64 3000 at 2.25.....only needs one fan on low for that situation.

The rig will be folding but not Stanford Folding.
I did that for 3 years so I contributed a fair bit.

These days my choice of project is Poem@home

I see that Scythe have just introduced some interesting low profile coolers that may be ideal. :D

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Just be care if stated height of a HS does or does not include the fan.

I will look at the motherboard some more for my next folder. Thanks.

vaio

Post by vaio » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:28 am

Looks like the Scythe Shuriken will be just the ticket for cooling the build, if I ever get around to it :D

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 am

P5E-VM HDMI is a pretty descent overclocker compared to g33 chipset boards. there's an easy mod for it to fix vcore droop if that gets in a way...

3gh seems like an easy clock for q6600 even in a micro-atx case but as aristide1 said, it might be worth waiting for 45nm cpu's to show up...

XIONG

Post by XIONG » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Ditto here~ï¼

SKeptical Thinker

Re: Decent DC overclocking an a matx case?

Post by SKeptical Thinker » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:27 pm

vaio wrote:Greetings :D

I am looking to eventually replace my current rigs with matx setups, specifically the Antec NSK2400 at this time.(I already use 2 of them).

My question is:

Can I build a decent Q6600 overclocking rig in these cases?
Note that they are to run dc 24/7.
I have the successor case (NSK-2480) and am overclocking an AMD BE-2350 (45W dual core) in it with the Scythe Mini-Ninja. Stock is 2.1 GHz and I have mine folding stable (24/7) at 2.856GHz.

Your mileage will assuredly vary.