I Borged my sister's computer. Will Console version show?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wussboy

I Borged my sister's computer. Will Console version show?

Post by wussboy » Tue May 27, 2003 12:36 pm

Just wondering if the console version will show up on her taskbar as a running program, or will it stay in the background? Do I need to change a setting to make it disappear? Thanks in advance.

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Tue May 27, 2003 12:43 pm

Damn another one. I just started moving up the ranks again :evil:

If its Windows 2000/XP or higher then you can run it as a service or you can get Electron Microscope which will hide it.

Here's the thread I started on it.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... firedaemon

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue May 27, 2003 9:39 pm

Yeah, I got some parts working but I'm confused. In truth, I know little about home networks, so some help here would be appreciated. I put the F@HConsole in my sister's shared documents (So I can see it when I click on "My Network Places" then on the name of her computer). It folded quite nicely until it reached 5% then it stopped. I went over to her computer and started it up again, and same thing. What gives? Can F@H not be in that folder? If I put it somewhere else (that's not shared) how will EM keep track of it?

My sister and I are both running XP SP1.

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Wed May 28, 2003 8:10 am

Did the client just stop as in "stalled?" or did it shut off/close down? If it just stalled, it could be a incompatibility in the program and the computer hardware, if it shut off/closed down it could be a configuration setting, or your sister found it and shut it off ... I doubt that the folder that the client is in would make a difference b/c I have moved my F@H folder from drive to drive in my system plenty of times and still retained functionality.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed May 28, 2003 9:03 am

I just install to the standard directory, and then share the folding@home directory.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed May 28, 2003 9:23 am

It stopped as in I went over to her computer and it wasn't running and CPU usage was 2%. I'll try your idea, Miker. THanks for your help.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed May 28, 2003 10:29 am

Maybe you could post the last several lines of the fahlog.txt from her PC.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed May 28, 2003 1:03 pm

I tried moving it into it's own folder and then sharing that folder (as per your suggestions) and so far it is blowing through 12 of 100 frames. So I'm optimistic that whatever was wrong is now going better (as it locked at 5/100 twice yesterday).

No one in the top 40 has to worry about me passing them yet, but it's nice to know I tripled my folding power. If I could just talk her into leaving her computer on all night... We talked about "Guerilla Silencing" before, didn't we? MWUAHAhahahaaa.

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Wed May 28, 2003 5:08 pm

Hehe, well, you can go ahead and pass me, I'm perfectly happy with sitting second for the single processor people :)

DaShiv

Post by DaShiv » Thu May 29, 2003 1:33 am

They really need to track/sort by number of processors used so that us sane people (read as: those who don't farm/borg) can have our own little competition. :)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu May 29, 2003 7:14 am

I honestly don't really see myself as a farmer or borger. I just can't stand seeing my sister's 1700+ sitting there all day doing nothing while my 800 t-bird chokes along on some dinky little WU that takes it 3 days to do. I think her boyfriend is going to join our F@H team too. He's forgoten more about computers than I'll ever know.

I'm like the SPCR F@H disciple!

"Join us, all who are weary and heavy laden. All ye who yearn for the peace and quiet that only SPCR can offer. Drop the shackles of slavery to your 5200rpm Delta Screamers. Shake loose from the bondage of your 2-fan 550w PSUs. Come to us, and we will give you rest. We will annoint your computer with silence, and long may it fold in peace. Amen."