Any News on Linux GPU folding?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Any News on Linux GPU folding?

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:26 am

If no then is Vista 64 bit more efficient than Vista 32 bit at GPU/and or SMP folding?

The whole idea of having to buy another copy of an OS for every board is rather annoying, since once the pc starts folding it is basically ignored.

No I won't go through 167 steps to untar, find, alter, compile, and test code. Some Linux guru should go automate the process.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:28 pm

It only seems to work with nvidia cards, although I believe that's what you're using. Last post I saw said the version 177 linux drivers have CUDA support, so you can run the GPU client in a Wine (windows emulation) session. I saw a 17-step process on how to do the whole thing from the command line - in other words, without even needing a monitor at all, just set up over a serial console or SSH login session.

I'm sure you can do it from the GUI too, but I was impressed to see it refined to the point that you can make it work on a headless linux box too. Even Windows can't stake that claim very well! That's some irony for you, huh? To have a windows app run better on linux with emulation than windows itself? The drawback is that the 177 drivers soak up CPU usage, so if you're planning to do GPU+CPU, I think it gets a little more tough to get the most out of the CPU client.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6793

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm

AZBrandon wrote:....I saw a 17-step process on how to do the whole thing from the command line - in other words, without even needing a monitor at all, just set up over a serial console or SSH login session.
Ugh I'm not even a Linux newbie, if that takes an expert an hour it will take me a day, and I'll probably mess it up and won't know why or where.
I'm sure you can do it from the GUI too, but I was impressed to see it refined to the point that you can make it work on a headless linux box too.
My Vista box can run headless and limb-less, I can plug/unplug the mouse and keyboard no problem. XP falls on its face.

Even Windows can't stake that claim very well! That's some irony for you, huh? To have a windows app run better on linux with emulation than windows itself?
What was said of Win 3.1 and 95 was Windows did multitasking better with DOS programs than with Windows programs, and it was true, although stupid. DOS pgms did pre-emptive multi-tasking, time slices, real Windows programs did cooperative, which sucked.
The drawback is that the 177 drivers soak up CPU usage, so if you're planning to do GPU+CPU, I think it gets a little more tough to get the most out of the CPU client.
Oh that's just all nuts. The whole point of PCs is to automate ridiculous cumbersome human procedures. The fact that no script exists to do this says a lot.