100k!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warriorpoet

100k!

Post by warriorpoet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 am

w00t!

1m here I come!

This is likely the last major milestone for the current rig (started folding it about 1.5 mo. ago). The next one will be a dual-GPU Folding monster.

Kinda sad to retire the 8800GTX :(

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: 100k!

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 am

warriorpoet wrote:w00t!

1m here I come!

This is likely the last major milestone for the current rig (started folding it about 1.5 mo. ago). The next one will be a dual-GPU Folding monster.

Kinda sad to retire the 8800GTX :(
Why retire anything? Haha.

I am considering a quad GPU folder, with AM2+ board to be found as low as $105 on NewEgg. Add a $44 BE dual core (45 watter) and maybe not even bother with SMP folding at all. I currently have a fair amount of spare parts, I'm just waiting for the right time to buy the video cards. I do wish rebates were good for more than just 1 card at a time.

As my scores show I brought another GPU and SMP online a couple of weeks ago.

And nice work WP. 8)

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Retire, because my brother-in-law needs the old card more than I do :)

Congrats on the new machine. I can't wait to get the 280 folding (got a $30 rebate on that beastie along with the dropped prices following 285 launch). I figure that + the kids' Apex mini-ITX system + 9600GSO should be good for some decent scorage 8)

We have to bring this team back up! It was once so proud...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm rather annoyed and disappointed that Neil is probably the only SPRC staff that folds anymore.

The worst part about that is a decent GPU can complete a WU in a few hours, so even earning 500 PPD for just 1 WU per day is a minimal expense.

We lost bkh, genetomcat, iganu (my efficiency mentor and guru), avidan, BMWBMW, Kansakilla, even Spookmineer and Wibla. These guys were heavy duty folders. :(

You're really hauling ass up the ranks right now, it will get more difficult as you overtake people who are still folding (page 1).

We can't hold a candle to the teams passing us. Just about all of them are earning more than twice as many PPDs as us. Bittersweet.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

aristide1 wrote:I'm rather annoyed and disappointed that Neil is probably the only SPRC staff that folds anymore.

The worst part about that is a decent GPU can complete a WU in a few hours, so even earning 500 PPD for just 1 WU per day is a minimal expense.

We lost bkh, genetomcat, iganu (my efficiency mentor and guru), avidan, BMWBMW, Kansakilla, even Spookmineer and Wibla. These guys were heavy duty folders. :(

You're really hauling ass up the ranks right now, it will get more difficult as you overtake people who are still folding (page 1).

We can't hold a candle to the teams passing us. Just about all of them are earning more than twice as many PPDs as us. Bittersweet.
Oh, I know. I went a good two years between WUs, but I'm determined to help in any way I can. I think 2x GPU, 1x SMP and 1x GMP 24/7 should help the cause. The points are a side benefit.

I expect to have the 280, quad and dualie folding full-time within a week. The 9800GSO, 9600GT will be added within the next couple weeks.