2nd Folding GPU Online for Team SPCR

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warriorpoet

2nd Folding GPU Online for Team SPCR

Post by warriorpoet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I will be running 2x single-thread CPU clients (-advmethods switch), 1x GPU2 client on he GTX 280 and 1x GPU2 client on the 8800GTS 512.

This should be good for some decent scores. Hopefully it'll slow our freefall a bit.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm

?? Both cards on the same motherboard ??

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

How's that going warriorpoet?

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:02 pm

aristide1 wrote:?? Both cards on the same motherboard ??
Yes

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 pm

haysdb wrote:How's that going warriorpoet?
Had my dummy plug bumped. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Have to get new resistors.

Unfortunately Vista won't allow folding downloads when another account is in use, so the more the kids use the PC, the fewer the points.

It seems we've all had an odd bit of low-point days going here. I was up near 10k/ day and suddenly dropped off the map.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:33 pm

I THINK it's up and running OK now. We'll be gone for a week, which means I'll find out when we get home. If we don't have any serious power/ ISP outages (common 'round here), it should be a monster week.

edit: NM. I'm getting the dreaded Guarded Run errors. Both GPUs work fine by themselves but act up together. Looks like I have an expensive PhysX card until they update the core...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:39 pm

With XP (my only dual GPU pc right now) I keep the plug in all the time. When I reboot I must have a monitor hooked up to both long enough get whatever it needs, then I can disconnect the monitor, otherwise the 2nd GPU will have errors starting.

I wonder what happens with 4 GPUs. :shock:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:52 am

I'm not quite following you. The dummy plug works for you or it doesn't?

BTW, maybe it's obvious to everyone what a "dummy plug" is, but just in case, it's something you plug into a video card to simulate a monitor. Windows Vista, if it finds no monitor connected to a video card at boot, will disable that card. I made one from a DVI to VGA adaptor that came with one of my graphics cards. $1 in resistors from Radio Shack and about 2 minutes were all that were required to make the plug.

It hadn't occurred to me to remove the plug after boot. That would allow one plug to be used for multiple machines, but since I just have one, I'll just leave it plugged in.

Something I wonder, if you have two inputs on one monitor, can you plug both cards into the same monitor? Obviously that would require two cables. The dummy plug is easier.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

My fault. I keep the dongle plugged into the card all the time. I need the monitors hooked up as well while the system boots. Then I start GPU on both cards and then I can unplug the second monitor.

I have not done anything with resistors or solder.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:23 pm

aristide1 wrote:With XP (my only dual GPU pc right now) I keep the plug in all the time. When I reboot I must have a monitor hooked up to both long enough get whatever it needs, then I can disconnect the monitor, otherwise the 2nd GPU will have errors starting.
Wait, you're having problems with XP? I never had to plug anything into my second video card with XP, it's only Vista that has that problem. Or are you using XP 64-bit? I'm using XP32, which lets you enable monitors, persistent through reboots, without plugging anything into the video card.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm running XP 32 I think SP3. GPU #2 has wierd problems when I don't follow this procedure. I probably did not nail down the exact cause.

What's this business about soldering resistors?

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm

When you have the second card set up, do you click the box to extend the desktop to the second monitor? As for the dummy plugs, there's a couple guides on the folding forum, most of them point back to this site:

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net- ... -plug.html

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:20 am

? With the monitor hooked up it happens automatically.

I heard about it but never looked into it.

Thanks