Which GPU client? Console or Systray?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Which GPU client? Console or Systray?

Post by haysdb » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:36 pm

I've been running the console client but decided tonight to give the systray client a go.

I don't like the way the application and the data files get buried. With the console, everything is here:

E:\Folding at Home

It's there because that's where I put it. There are a bunch of folders in there - two for GPU clients, 4 vmware folders, a folder for a Windows SMP client I'm not currently using, and a few regular console clients that I'm not currently using either. It's simple. All my FAH stuff is in one folder on an external drive.

Now let's look at where things are when I install the systray client:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu
C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu

I find this to be ugly. I do not want DATA buried on the system disk. In fact, I don't want the application buried in the Program Files directory - I'd rather have ALL the FAH stuff together in one place, on an external drive, like I have it now.

SO, question: Can I move the systray client from C:/blah/bla/bah and the data from C:\User\blah/blah/blah and plop it wherever I want? Or is there a bunch of crap in the registry I'll need to deal with if I move them? I'm fixin' to find out.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 am

Features on the systray version-

Place your mouse over the icon, get the current point level.
Right click to select quit, or quit when done, no restart.
Right click for log file file reading through Notepad.
Right click and you can pause. No stop / restart business.
View your settings while it's running.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 pm

I've switched over to the systray GPU client. Ultimately all that was required was to copy the exe into the same folder as the console client. It picked up right where the console client left off.

I could personally do without the Windows installer. I suppose this would seem complicated to others but it seems simpler to me: let me download a zip file that I can unpack into a location of my choosing, then just double-click on the exe to fire it up. I can create a shortcut if I want and optionally drop it into the Startup folder so the program starts when Windows starts. If I need a second instance it's just a matter of copying the folder and deleting the work folder in the copy.