Video card crashes when folding.

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Q_PC

Video card crashes when folding.

Post by Q_PC » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I recently upgraded from a Radeon x850XT to a Radeon 4830 taking care to remove all old drivers from the system before installing the new card. Anyway, when I run Folding@Home I occasionally get messages from Catalyst Control Centre that the GPU has stopped responding to commands from the display driver and has been reset. My question is do I have a defective card? All other 3D apps run normally and I tried running Furmark for several hours to see if any crashes resulted and none did. I seem to get fewer crashes since I upgraded from Catalyst 9.2 to 9.3 but they are there nonetheless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:27 am

There's a lot of issues with the GPU client. You should go through the messages in the ATI specific issues forum since crashes are common. Try to find someone with a crash situation that sounds similar to yours and see what they did to fix it.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 am

You may want to get a hardware monitor and look at GPU temps. Some fans wait too long before picking up speed. If you can, try putting your fan temporarily at 100% and start folding and see what happens.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 am

AZBrandon wrote:There's a lot of issues with the GPU client. You should go through the messages in the ATI specific issues forum since crashes are common.
I guess I've just been lucky, but the GPU clients have run very stable for me, with three different NVIDIA graphics cards - a 9600 GT, an 8800 GT, and now two GTS 250s. I've experienced crashes while putting my new system together, but not one I can attribute to Folding@Home.

Is the ATI client less robust than the NVIDIA client?

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:01 pm

haysdb wrote:Is the ATI client less robust than the NVIDIA client?
That's what I was getting at. Crashes appear far more common when you read the ATI GPU forum. It seems nvidia got the jump on driver reliability.