A few days ago I noticed that my SMP client only hit a checkpoint every couple of hours rather than the 17-20 minutes it used to. That made me look at how much CPU it was using, which turned out only to be one core. This seems to be a known issue with some WUs
, that's being worked on. A workaround (since if it only uses one core, it probably won't meet the deadline anyway) is to remove the core, there's a new one released that'll discard these WUs when it gets them.
Also, SMP is really nice compared to the old uniprocessor client (I got a dual core back in May
, which brought me from ~100ppd on an Athlon XP to ~1500ppd on an Athlon 4850e.