dedicate 1 to folding

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

dedicate 1 to folding

Post by colm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 am

I got a spare machine sitting here that does good if the os is not trying to kill its resources...
I experimented in safe mode, seeing what runs and what doesn't, the points quadrupled for an old prescott. That is still approx only 500 a day, but it is something to do. What can I do with ubuntu? there is no instructions precise enough. The spare machine could get xp sp3, but I do not wnat to do this. I have a ubuntu dvd made up and bootable, and do not know what to do to keep it super light. the pc would have no mouse nor monitor but only once and awhile to check on it.
I just want to let it go for 30 says or so, until the pc is sold.
any ideas?
link to spare machine

Thorsted

Post by Thorsted » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

From what i have seen archlinux is one of the most lightweight, having no experience with linux but following the guide
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net- ... oring.html
I managed to get it running on a virtual machine, should be doable to do some of the step and get it running on a real machine, if you have experience with Linux it should be even easier. Have to log in and start it manually thou so without monitor might have to look for something different.

Edit: I forgot to mention archlinux is purely text based by default.

cordis

yeah

Post by cordis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Yeah, most lightweight linuxes will be fine. You could also try the server version of ubuntu, that's text based and pretty lightweight. From there, just download the tarball of the linux smp setup and see how it goes. Not sure if it would be worth running 6.29, might be.

colm

Post by colm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 pm

hey thanks.
I am down a drive at the moment, I guess i have to wait to see how it goes.
This used to be easy.
The experiment at safe mode may even be another route, I have a spare windows. I could have guessed the prescott needs to let go of just about everything to make the cpu folding anyhtng worthwhile. With vista it is like 10 points a freakin day.
a whole lotta cpu with a whole lotta bad programming smothering it.

:roll: