Folding at the login prompt?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Folding at the login prompt?

Post by Zhentar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:03 pm

How can I make sure a system with Win2k folds while it is at the login prompt? I just got permission to borg most of my parents office, but the computers spend more than half their time just at the login prompt- how can I make sure they fold during that? I do have administrator access.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:54 pm

You have to run it as a service using Firedaemon. Here is a guide how to do it.

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:47 am

na nana na boo boo

i've got a thousand more points than you :P

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:58 am

if that 1,200 points per week is accurate... not for long :) I'll be putting it on 3 P4 1.8s, 1 P4 2.0, 3 Athlon XP 1800+ and 1 Athlon XP 2400+. Hehe. And maybe, just maybe, this will convince my sister to put it on her P4 1.7... that thousand point difference will go away VERY fast :)

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:35 pm

:shock: :( :cry:

now how am i supposed to compete with just one P4 2.0, four 766 celerons, and one duron 750? :?

owz, at least i'll be in the top 20... i'm happy :mrgreen:
Last edited by riffst3r on Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:57 pm

well, I'll probably just try this on one or two comps tomorrow during lunch, because I'll be kinda busy.

Anyone have problems with this? If there are problems, it'll definatly be a bad, bad thing.....

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:13 pm

Zhentar wrote:well, I'll probably just try this on one or two comps tomorrow during lunch, because I'll be kinda busy.

Anyone have problems with this? If there are problems, it'll definatly be a bad, bad thing.....
I hate to get in the middle of you and riff, but....

Does what Zhentar is doing (installing Firedaemon) on computers at a business for the purpose of folding for SPCR constitute using Firedaemon as personal use or commercial use? http://www.firedaemon.com/license.txt

Is the entity in question here, Zhentar (non-commercial) or the owner of the computers (commercial)?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:42 pm

well, if I just use the Lite version it looks like it shouldn't matter. But aside from that, I'd say I'm the entity, so it's non-commercial.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:53 pm

Zhentar wrote:well, if I just use the Lite version it looks like it shouldn't matter. But aside from that, I'd say I'm the entity, so it's non-commercial.
Actually, the lite version is freely licensed for non-commerical use so it would matter. It would not matter if you were using the obsolete version.

I tend to agree with you that you (individual) are the entity here--when the purpose of the usage is considered. However, the software is being used by a commercial entity (as defined by the license), but not for any commercial purposes (other than hiding F@H from users so it doesn't get in their way). Just wondered what other folks thought about it.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:37 am

In my experience here in IT, the use doesn't matter. Its the owner of the machine. If the corporation owns the machine, they are responsible for all software installed on it, no matter who installs it.

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:19 am

Here are the relevant sections of the license.

"For the purposes of this license a commercial entity is defined as any corporation registered or otherwise that derives or attempts to derive substantial commercial and monetary gain and benefit from its efforts and endeavours. This includes all Government and Military entities."

"Free Unsupported Software may be used free of charge by any non-commercial entity." (the Lite GA version)

(remarks from a serious case of brain fade excised)

Now that we have that out of the way, alright Zhentar! The points from those machines should go a long way to holding off Slo-Tech and accelerating Team SPCRs rise through the ranks.
Last edited by WarpedPlatter on Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:24 pm

I read those two quotations and came up with exactly the opposite conclusion that you did. According to those two statements, you cannot use the software without paying for it on a machine owned by a commercial entity.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:31 pm

herosformula wrote:I read those two quotations and came up with exactly the opposite conclusion that you did. According to those two statements, you cannot use the software without paying for it on a machine owned by a commercial entity.
Me, too. So, if you like, here's another method to run F@H as a service without using Firedaemon. http://folding.amdmbpond.com/service.html

I don't want Zhentar to pass me :(, but....hey, Go Team!

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:58 am

:oops:

Arrrrggghhh, I feel stupid. Somehow I read into that one paragraph that commercial entity status was determined by whether or not there was a gain made from the FireDaemon software. Looking at it again now, it's just as herosforumula and aphonos say.

Excuse me while I go thump my head on my desk now.