Running as a service over a network?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Choy

Running as a service over a network?

Post by Choy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:51 pm

I have a computer that I would like to run with the harddrive off as much as possible. So I had the idea of running the f@h service from a harddrive on the network. This works well as long as I do it manually. But WinXP doesn't accept a service to be started from a non-mapped folder (eg \\computer\share\FAH3Console.exe ...) Does anyone have any exp in getting something like this to work?

And I'll never reach the top50... Always someone that races ahead of me... :lol: :cry: Don't know if I should laugh for the team or cry for myself...

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:47 pm

If you are sure that the culprit is that the service controller does not like UNC paths then you have 2 options:
1) you can use NET USE command to mount a network path as a disk
2) you can create a RAM drive, copy the executable there and start it as a service from there

I'm not sure whether option 1 will work.

You need to do something like this:
NET USE * \\your_machine\your_path

It will mount that path as drive Z: or whatever is available.

Choy

Post by Choy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:29 am

It works fine if I map the drive using NET or anything else, but then I can't fold without anyone logged in. Or can I use net before I get to the login screen? Needless to say I have to have network access.

The same issue with a ram drive. How do I get it working before I log in?

Choy

Post by Choy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:12 am

I found this article from MS about running scripts before logging in. But since I don't have Resource Kit it doesn't do me any good. Is there any other way to run commands before logging in?

Cosine

Post by Cosine » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:23 am

FireDaemon

Cos